17 | apology

I didn't answer straight away.

Instead, I swooped down to recover my pen. I took the opportunity to linger a while, even though the pen was directly in my line of vision. Nudging it a bit, I used that time to attempt to try to get my adrenaline levels in check, taking a couple of deep breaths.

I wasn't sure why he was provoking a flight or flight response in me. I was terribly conscious of being caught unawares by him. This wasn't good. For one, dealing with someone like him was not what I wanted to be doing after dealing with a difficult customer.

The phone call had left me flustered enough as it was. I had to deal with another troublemaker.

'Look, I'm sorry about the other day. That was a stupid move kissing that girl. I can be a bit... eager. I don't want you to think I'm totally insensitive. You'd be perfectly entitled to think so and that's okay. But yeah. I'm not great with apologies, to be honest,' he said quickly.

For a moment, I was confused as to what he was referring too. Ah yes! When he brought along his female friends. 

I was surprised that he even had the capacity to apologise. Pausing for a minuted to let his words sink in, I realised he might have been sleazy, but at least he was honest about his faults.

I still didn't like him, but but I didn't want to punch him, so that was something.

'Apology accepted.' I came up to face him. 'People do stupid things.'

Zachary's eyes scanned mine and we didn't say anything for a while.

I would have made a light-hearted comment to take the edge off it, but I realised that he didn't really want that. And in that moment, I didn't either.

'Even poor little rich boys?' He commented, a gleam in his eye.

'Especially,' I said, my tone tongue-in-cheek, 'Poor little rich boys.'

We shared a smile.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my father looking at us, curious.

I watched as he got up. 'Why hello there! You're a new face.' He strolled towards us.

I was groaning inside; my dad would probably think he was a friend of mine, then I'd have the made the obligatory introductions.

And God knows what Zachary would have said about me...