30 | revelation

I hadn't heard from Zachary for a while, much to my sadness. A couple of weeks passed. I was scared to contact him as well because I didn't want to look like I was bothering him. Also, he may have been busy with his studies like Jonny. Or at least that was what I was telling myself when I deleted my simple 'hello' message to him. What were we going to talk about since that eventful dinner? I knew that he was interested in me; I was honestly flattered. But I felt like I owed it to Jonny to keep my distance. I was afraid of that hidden part of me which wanted to kiss him.

I felt guilty that I was dreaming of Zachary. In other words, I was crushing on him. I was past the denial stage. But I wasn't the type of girl who would go with a guy at the drop of a hat. I cared for Jonny. I suppose it was just my type of luck that I'd had two interesting guys to choose from. I'd reasoned that Zachary wasn't boyfriend material for me. I wasn't available. I'm sure he would have found someone else that he was interested in and forget about me. Sometimes the grass wasn't necessary greener in life. I was happy with what Jonny and I had.

All of these reasons combined, made me realise that like an illness, I would just have to let the crush fade away on its own and focus on my hobbies and boyfriend.

My dad wanted to invite Zachary and Heather to see how our cakes were baked. I thought it was a great idea to involve him in the cake decorating process too, if he was all right with me showing him the ropes.

Sauntering in, his gait was relaxed and smooth like it always was, Zachary's scanned our bakery before alighting on me, waiting by the counter, my heart fluttered a little as I watched his lips curve into a half-smile.

'Your chocolate was delicious. Thanks,' he said by way of greeting.

'I'm glad you enjoyed it. Which one did you like best?' I managed to say, my thoughts were scrambled. I hadn't expect him to comment on them after I'd effectively ghosted him, but he was being kind and generous despite my poor show of friendship.

Zachary considered my question, tilting head to the side, his brow furrowed, and rubbed his fingers against his chin.

'You have to think about it?' I smiled a little wider at his theatrical display of contemplation.

He gave me a quizzical look. 'You should try it, sunshine. Thinking, that is.' He couldn't resist poking the knife in and my eyes widened in hurt and outrage.

My mouth opened to deliver a stinging retort, but he leaned forward with a self-satisfied smile. 'All of them. I hold all your chocolates in equal estimation.'

I smiled shyly and studied the pastel yellow wallpaper on the wall nearest to me so I wouldn't look like a complete fool in front of him.

When I did look back at him, he was studying the menu. 'No dance routine. I am disappointed. Compliments are supposed to be conditional, right?' A grin was making its way onto his features; I could tell by the sparkle in his eyes that he was having fun.

I couldn't really be annoyed with him. That was just how he was — he liked to take the piss out of everyone and everything. If you didn't like him, you could leave. Zachary probably wouldn't even remember your name.

'I'm not a great dancer. I'm one of those people who should dance alone in their bedroom in the dark. Even then I'd knock over the bedside lamp,' I sighed, remembering the time I'd tried to perform a dance routine in front of Jonny in his room and actually knocked his lamp over in an ill-judged movement involving my hands and his hairbrush.

'Bad dancer or not, I'd still pay.' Zachary got out his wallet and tucked a ten pound note in our tips teapot on the counter.

'Your giving ten pounds of tips when you haven't even ate anything.' I was amazed. 'That's too much.'

He shrugged his shoulders. 'I'm paying it forward. Now your dad mentioned that you were going to show me how you do your magic. Heather sends her apologies. She had to go to another dress fitting, so I am acting as her eyes and tastebuds.' Zachary rolled his eyes and smiled wryly at the last part.

'Oh, that's right!' I said instantly, excited by the prospect of showing someone new how we made cakes.

It was one of my passions to teach people about the whole baking process step-by-step.

You simply couldn't beat the feeling of seeing a beginner's face light up when they ate their creation! Best feeling in the world to bring joy to another person. I hoped to elicit a similar reaction in Zachary.

He was cautious as I gestured for him to step behind the counter so I could lead him downstairs to our lovely kitchens. 'I'd like to teach you how to decorate your cake too. Is that fine with you?'

He waved his hand to the side. 'That's fine. I'm looking forward to it.' He didn't seem too enthusiastic. I was worried that perhaps he didn't even want me to teach him.

'Look, if you'd rather my dad showed you—' I said without thinking. Zachary stopped and stared at me, his cheeks were pink as though he was embarrassed about something. A few seconds of awkward silence followed which felt like years.

'It's not that,' he sighed. 'I've never baked a cake before. It's... out of my skill set.'

I stared at him, taking in his answer. Then before I could help myself I began to laugh and his face dropped, mortified, as his blinking rate increased. The way he'd delivered his 'shameful' revelation was... sweet.

'Share the joke?' he said stiffly.

Once I was able to recover myself, I smiled at him warmly to reassure him. 'I bet your a natural baker, Zach. It's not that hard.'

'Oh really?' he said, breaking out into a tentative smile as I grabbed his arm and dragged him away.

'Yes really.'