36 | how did it go?

I'd just settled into bed for the night, dreading going back to school the next day because I had to hand in the final draft of my history coursework. I had made sure put the finishing touches to it a few days before I met Jonny's parents because a) I wanted to get it over and done with and b) I couldn't face the prospect of thinking about how potentially awful the meeting would be AND stomach editing the piece on Stalin and communism. I had picked to do mine on Stalin because he seemed the most messed up out of Russia's leaders. Also, he had the liveliest personal history and scandal.

A bit like a certain male friend of mine.

I had sent a greeting to Louisa when I'd returned, but, unusually, for her, she was MIA. So much for your best friend who was supposed to instantly be there whenever you needed her. Instead, I'd had to content myself with sneaking up to my room and getting ready for bed. My parents were already in bed. I'd told them the day before that I was going to be coming home at ten-ish. They both had work the next day, so it wasn't really a surprise.

I bumped into my mother as I stepped out of the bathroom.

Mum was drinking from a glass of milk. She had one of her family sagas tucked in the crook of her arm. I could tell from the evocative, battered pastel paperback of a young girl with flowing brunette tresses looking helplessly out at you. I had the impression that my mother had wanted more children, but the practical side of her was against it.

Her family was smaller compared to my father's side. My father had always wanted a girl, so it wasn't like he was one of those dads who desperately wanted a son next. My mother had been an only child herself, so she wasn't too bothered. Besides, there was the business to consider.

'Hello, my lovely,' she smiled, when she saw me. 'You look a touch out of sorts. I hope you're not coming down with anything.'

'It's nothing, mum.' I tried forcing a smile, but there wasn't any conviction behind my attempt. 'Had a long day, that's all.'

My mother stroked my back; she was so reassuring. I loved her to bits. When she entered the room, any chaos or confusion was forgotten about for the moment. She had that affect on people. It was especially useful in her line of work: she was a nurse.

'Hmm. I think it's been more than a long day,' she said, tilting her head to the side. 'But you don't want to tell me...'

How did she know? She was perceptive — you really couldn't get much past her. I considered telling her about the afternoon I'd endured with Jonny's parents. However, I knew she might tell my dad and it just wasn't worth his disappointment.

I liked Jonny a lot, although I wasn't sure about his parents liking me, despite his reassurance that they took a while to warm up to people. The same had happened with his brother Kevin's wife Helena. I didn't really know if that was encouraging. I tried to imagine that if I'd been in their position, I'd have been the same. I couldn't really judge them.

'It's okay, mum. I prefer to keep it to myself for now. I have a lot of school work...' I said.

That was a good enough reason for my mother. She nodded.

'I'm sure you'll do well. You always do,' she said, squeezing my shoulder. She started to walk down the corridor, then changing her mind, turned back round to face me. 'Before I forget, Candy. Zach called earlier. He loves your dad's brownies! He says his sister Heather loves the recipe too. She wants it on her dessert menu. Well, it's not really a surprise. Jem does make amazing brownies.'

Mum beamed with pride; her face seemed to blossom with extreme happiness. 'I remember when I was pregnant with you. Your dad would make me anything I wanted — it was the best nine months of my life.'

I was staring at her as though she'd spouted wings on her back and horns on her head. Now my mother was singing his praises. He certainly knew how to charm the pants off everyone, even my mother. She hadn't even seen his face in the flesh. However, I tried my best not to snap at my mother. I may have had a bad day, but I didn't need to take it out on her.

'He likes the brownies,' I echoed. I was in shock that he'd even called again. Why was he being so nice to my parents? Why was he being so nice to me? I was frustrated. I couldn't even impress Jonny's parents today. Yet, he managed to impress my parents without any effort. Zachary was so... fake.

I'd seen how he'd behaved to others. Remember, that poor guy months ago; the middle-aged one who'd taken my samples? Well, how did his change of behaviour make sense? He was so rude. And he was probably crawling with STDs with all the poor girls he'd used. And now he was acting like he was the sweetest and loveliest guy. You couldn't make this up.

'What a lovely young man!' My mother gushed. 'I shouldn't really be saying this, but—'

'Say it.' I didn't want to hear.

'He is such a flirt.' She was grinning like mad, recalling whatever words he'd persuasively and seductively said down the phone line. My own mother! The nightmare wasn't going to end anytime soon.

'He's very confident and self-assured,' Mum was saying, 'I can see why your daddy is in awe of him. I thought that he'd be your typical poor little rich boy—'

I bobbed my head. 'Yes, you're not far—'

'But he sounds very intelligent! Not up himself. And his voice is very distinctive. You can hear his smile.'

'You can hear his smile?' I said. The last words had caught my interest.

'He sounds like a fun person to be around,' Mum finished off.

He did have a great smile. It was a shame you never really got to see much of it. As I wished my mother goodnight, I realised with a sort of glum insight, the type which gives you little pleasure, that I missed the sight of his smile.

My phone buzzed. I thought it might have been Louisa (finally!) and I stared down at my screen.

It was an innocent question, the one he asked at ten-forty-one in the evening, but it held so much underlying nosiness.

How did it go?