42 | red rose

It started with a single red rose which he managed to get for free from a florist, who looked happy to do so for such an attractive man.

'What? Don't you like it?' he said, as we walked away. A certain irony was dripping off each of his words, which I couldn't ignore.

I twirled the stem between my fingertips, reminiscing about a moment in time, not too long ago, but still a century away in my own internal time machine. 'Oh, it's nothing, really. I remember the time when you sent me yellow roses,' I said softly.

'That was for one of my many fuck ups, right? As if I needed to be reminded again...' Zachary shrugged his shoulders; there was a white-hot irritability simmering underneath his calm facade.

'Red is passionate, I suppose. But we can go back and I can get a yellow one.' A half-smile quirked one corner of his mouth as he glanced back at me.

'No, I like it—'

Mind made up, he swivelled around to go back to the flower shop. 'Right. Come on! Let's get your replacement.'

Stunned, I watched as he strode down the street, his shoulders dipping with each step in his characteristic swagger. He had great posture — that was one of the many things I'd noticed about him, which made him stand out from others. The picture of health and vitality. A gaggle of passers-by looked at him with interest like worker bees drawn to honey.

Each step took him further away from me.

'I LIKE IT!' I shouted at his back. He stopped abruptly in the middle of the street and turned back to look at me.

'Really, Candice. You don't have to worry about hurting my feelings. You do that already.' He put a hand to his chest and took on a faux pained expression before breaking out into a mocking grin when my mouth fell open.

Anyone would have thought we were girlfriend and boyfriend arguing on the street, going by the curious looks of the pedestrians coming up and and down the road.

'Are you upset with me?' I offered tentatively.

He considered my question, eyes directed at the clear blue sky. He seemed to gather himself before returning back to me. 'No, I'm not upset with you. Just with the situation.'

'What do you mean?' I said, confused about his cryptic words.

'Well, for one, why are you with that guy? Jimmy—Jonno (I gave him a glare) — anyone can see you're mismatched.'

'What do you mean? You've only seen us together once!' I shot back, offended at the presumptuousness of his statements.

Zachary made loud, dramatic sighing noise which succeeded in annoying me even further. 'Look, if you want my honest opinion, he's a drip. Sure, he may be a decent guy — whatever that means — but if you're happy with mediocrity than be my guest. You go by face value too much. You're not really thinking long-term here.'

'Oh really?' I snapped. 'You sound very snobbish right now.'

'Yes. Well, forgive me, if I'm not exactly in the habit with associating with 'normal people'. He seems too wishy-washy for you.'

'How did this get into a slagging match about my boyfriend? I thought you wanted some company. I didn't expect to get hear nasty words about Jonny. A friend wouldn't be so harsh to another friend.'

My words seemed to deflect off him. 

'It was your choice to come and see me. No one held a barrel to your head and forced you to meet with me. Last words on this subject — he seems like a bad choice. At the moment, you're rootless like that rose. You need direction.'

I stared at the rose — its petals were a deep, seductive red. 'I'm taking a gap year,' I mumbled.

'What?'

'I'm going to take a gap year after the summer,' I said, my frustration has dissipated to be replaced with fear as I realised that he was right in a way. I didn't really know what my plans were after the summer. I'd probably continue to work in Dad's bakery and think about possible options to take.

'Hm. Your dad did mention you were taking a gap year,' he said thoughtfully. 'Perhaps you could prepare to go to a catering school. You're talented. I'm sure you could get in without a problem. Then you could start your own patisserie—'

His mind was running a mile a minute. It seemed like when he had an idea he had no qualms in persuading you of its validity. The extent of his interest in me was oddly touching. Even the way his vivid blue eyes were luminescent as he got caught up in his thoughts was enough to make my heart hop and skip like a rabbit. I knew that he meant well despite his bluntness and demanding qualities. It was difficult to feel angry with him.

'Slow down!' I placed my hand on his arm, before he could turn into my career advisor. 'My exams haven't even finished and you're already acting as if you're going to plan my whole career for me.'

'You'd have to pay me,' he said, 'I don't think you can afford me.'

We shared a wry smile.

'Very few people could. Unless I win the lottery,' I joked.

'One day, when you least expect it, you might find the lucky golden ticket. Then we can talk.' He pressed his palm on my back.

I realised we'd arrived at his flat. It was surprisingly nondescript and unassuming. I would have walked by it if he hadn't stopped.

'This is it. What are your first impressions? Less swankier than you expected?'

'It's... nice,' I said, trying not to appear like an idiot.

He laughed. 'It suits my needs just fine. It's university accommodation, of course. I wanted the full experience. I could have got my own place, but that would have been a waste of money...'

As we entered his building, I couldn't help thinking that money was the least thing he needed...