21 | the offer

Objectively, he had a nice body. I wasn't going to lie just to prove to myself that I wasn't attracted to him, physically speaking. That would have been a foolish thing to do. It would have been like saying you didn't want a perfectly delicious fudge cake slice because for whatever reason someone else had been given it instead.

I liked to appreciate beauty whenever I saw it. In this world, we can so caught up with mundane concerns, when we do see something, or someone, we like it often feels cathartic and doubly strange. Ethereal, almost. I was a baker. That meant I had an aesthetic appreciation for fine textures, flavours, colours and the subtle interplay between ingredients. Since I was a young girl, I knew that the relationship I had between food and emotions was something special. I don't mean to boast, but it felt like food was art, pleasure and survival itself.

If Zachary's body could have been described in one way: to me, it was a five-star feast. A veritable feast. There was a harmony between all the individual components was like the chef had struck gold by discovering the perfect menu.

As for Zachary, he was at first shocked that I was looking at him so freely. Was it because he was more used to being the one who held the upper hand in our interactions? I guess it didn't matter in that moment. I even think he liked it, but no surprises there, eh?

His eyes were brimming with intrigue. Holding his palm out to me as though he wanted me to touch him. 'If I wasn't lying on a hospital bed, I'd take my chances with you, Candice.'

'Is that right?' I murmured, a smile seemed to be tugging around the corner my mouth. Out of a whim, I placed my hand in his. And that's when I felt it. It was like most familiar sensation, the warmth of his finger tips was like stepping into a luxurious foam bath. His touch seemed felt entirely natural.

'What did you do last night?' He looked surprised that I'd complied. At that moment, I wasn't thinking straight, but I was in no mood to be cautious. If anything, my nerves were shattered, too tired to think straight. And strangely enough, Zachary touching me didn't seem feel so bad. I was flattered that he found me attractive and desirable. I doubt he really meant anything by it.

'Why do you want to know?' I shrugged my shoulders. His hand was wrapped around my mine and tugged me towards him, indicating that I should sit down on his bed. His eyes held no room for protest, not that I minded being so close to him.

'I think you'd be an interesting person to get to know. I want to know all the boring details. Besides, I could think of worse ways to spend the evening. Me! I'm a survivor,' he beat his free hand on his chest in a display of strength.

'Thank you,' I smiled at him. 'That's the nicest back-handed compliment I may have received in my life, Zachary. Did they give you a personality-altering drug?'

Zachary placed my hand flat on his chest, so I could feel the steady pulsations of his heartbeat. I raised an eyebrow, wondering if I was in another dimension, one where we had just decided to enjoy the moment for what it was. Being alone with him was an intimate experience.

'Do you feel that? That's the sound of an alive heart. I don't know what it is about you, Candice, but something inside me knows — or scratch that — demands, that if I saw more of you, maybe it would be beneficial.'

My jaw dropped as I processed his words. 'Is that your roundabout way of asking me out on a date?' There was thickness in the back of my throat which I clamped down on.

Zachary laughed at my answer. He seemed like he found my stunned response endearing. 'I want to take you out — scout's honour. One important thing you should know about me is that I value persistence. We both have that in spades. How about it?'