48 | confession

Despite my reservations, I decided to tell Jonny that evening. By the glow of his lamp, he was reading some of his assigned Philosophy reading on the coach. His lecturer was a feminist, so he was trying to get some Simone de Beauvoir in his essay for appearances sake. I enjoyed being his study buddy. I didn't really have to do much. I just liked being around him. He was a calming presence.

I couldn't hide a secret. I tried, but it was eating away at me. Zachary's kiss was like poison. I felt so bad. It was almost a relief to just lay everything on the table. The lies were too much to bare on my shoulders. I didn't know if Zachary was feeling something similar. Probably not. He'd pretty much desensitised himself to anyone's emotions, but his own, which was fair — I couldn't fault him that. However, that didn't mean that I had to follow in his footsteps.

'You seem quiet tonight. Is everything okay?' Jonny enquired, as he jotted something on his writing pad.

I could have kept silent. If it wasn't for his innocent question, I wouldn't have had the guts to tell him the truth.

I stretched my arms above my head and rolled the creaks away in my shoulders, before settling into the comfortable crook of his inviting arm.

'Don't get angry at me, please,' I said automatically.

'Now why would I get angry at you?' Jonny looked up, his gaze was curious.

'Well, you have every reason to be angry with me.' I was resigned.

Jonny frowned at me as though he was preparing for the worse, but than his mouth quirked into a smile to show he wasn't being serious.

'Be serious!' I sighed, and laughed a little.

'I am serious!' he protested. I groaned as I realised that he was being impossible at the worse possible time. Jonny had a knack for seeing the humour in the silliest and oddest moments — that was partly what I loved about him. He knew how to diffuse a tense situation well. I'd seen his prowess when it came to customer complaints in the bakery. If there was one thing Jonny Pollack possessed in abundance, it was a boyish personal charm which inspired my loyalty.

'No, you're not going to like this.' I pressed my face against a pillow. There was silence on his end. When I lowered the pillow an inch and Jonny was staring at me with a look of adoration that made me feel as useless as a rag, but as priceless as a black diamond.

That was the moment he kissed me and my fears were assuaged immediately. His kiss was like a magic potion coursing through me, waking me up from the spell of Zachary's poisonous kiss. Like Sleeping Beauty, I woke up and knew what I had to do.

'I went out with Zachary and his friends. He invited me to his flat for tea and kissed me. I'm so, so sorry. I feel awful,' I said, surprised that my voice wasn't shaking as I'd expected.

There was no explosion. Instead, what happened was much, much worse, to my horror...

 Instead, what happened was much, much worse, to my horror