27 | gentleman and wolf

The food was expensive, but, to Zachary's credit, it was out of this world expensive.

As we tucked in, I couldn't help releasing a sigh of contentment as I allowed the delicate flavours of the lamb fillet, creamy mashed potato and tarragon sauce meld into a simple, but unique harmony.

Zachary was cutting his meat into a smaller piece; the shimmering cutlery was precise in its movements like a dancer who'd stepped the boards many times.

He looked up at me, a boyish smile appeared on his face briefly. 'Do you like it?'

'I love it!' I swooned as my tastebuds exploded with flavour.

'Wait for desert,' he laughed. 'I'm sure you'll be orgasming.'

I giggled at his words, at ease around him, and unbothered by the joke.

Jonny, who was observing us, offered his plate out to me and gestured for me to try his fish plate.

'Don't you like it?' I nodded my head at his plate.

'Yeah, it's great. I thought you might want to try some, Candy.'

Jonny placed his arm casually around my chair, leaning closer to me, all the while allowing his eyes to roam around the restaurant, settling on Zachary who dabbed at his mouth with a napkin, trying to assume an air of nonchalance.

However, there was an interested gleam in his eyes as though we were both test specimens in a laboratory and he was the scientist who was writing up a case study on mating habits.

'Such a gentleman,' I smiled tenderly at my boyfriend and scooped up a mouthful of his meal, realising that Jonny's dish was better than mine, if that was even possible.

My dad would have loved this restaurant! Of course, we would never be able to afford it in a million years, but it was so lovely of Zachary to pay for both of us.

There was soft classical music playing in the background to create ambiance. Gigantic chandeliers hung from the ceiling like pendants and, all at once, I was in awe of my surroundings, which made me get an idea of his lifestyle.

To me and Jonny, it was a totally novel experience.

Everything was massive, but there was a sense of order to the proceedings. It was a performance, an experience, and as visitors we knew that it only brought temporary gratification, but for Zachary, this was a normal part of his life. He was the star performer whereas we were the humble spectators to the show.

'You know what they say about gentlemen, eh, Candice?' Zachary said calmly.

I raised my eyebrows in a gesture of enquiry. He placed the fork in his mouth, making sure not to allow his lips to touch the silver; precise and neat. He had such wonderful dining etiquette; like myself he took time to savour the meal.

Guiltily, I thought I understood how he managed to attract girls.

Perhaps it was because of his immense inheritance and reputation, but, it must have been more than that, surely?

What made him so special compared to all the other rich guys out there?

'What do they say? Tell us,' Jonny drawled, purposely imitating his speech patterns.

Unruffled, Zachary eyes glanced at him, his lips quirking into a half-smile, before he turned his attention once more on me.

His eyes were piercing. 'Behind every gentleman is a patient wolf.'

I dropped my fork with a clatter on the dish.

Jonny rolled his eyes and made a big show of yawning and generally being bored of Zachary's unsubtle attempts to goad him.

'Corny,' I said to break the tension.

Zachary shrugged as though he didn't care either way. 'It got your attention, didn't it...'

I chuckled to the side as I continued with my meal. 'I thought this was supposed to be a friendly dinner date for three. I really didn't expect to play diplomat.'

Jonny began to laugh, warm and full of life. Zachary raised his beer glass at me: touché.

'You struck it lucky with this one, Jonno. I'm envious. How did you manage to do it?'

My boyfriend was momentarily caught off guard by the compliment and his cheeks flushed in... pleasure.

However, compliment or not, I saw that Jonny was determined not to be caught in Zachary's sticky web, but I could tell that he was uneasy.

It showed itself in his disdain and contempt for the brewery billionaire's heir as the night wore on.

At first, it wasn't so obvious, but like a bottle of fizz, I could tell that eventually they were going to be at each other's throats if someone didn't intervene.