CHAPTER 2

Edited*

I was an unlucky bird.

Very unlucky with how he came home that night early and drunk.

He was mad about something at work I guess and took it out on me. I shudder now as I think about that, even with it being a few days after, but it hurts to even do so. Looking at myself in the mirror doesn't help as I only see additional little bumps on my body. And yet, as much as I hate it, I'm too scared to fight back. Too scared to initiate some form of escape and just the thought of telling someone makes me quiver. Last time I did so, well. . . let's just say some things are better not brought up.

Turning towards the clock in my room, I see I have 5 minutes before leaving to get to school. I woke up late,  just as expected for the last few days. Sighing lightly, I get my bag ready and head out of the house.

Upon walking down the porch steps, an abrupt pain shoots up my right thigh, causing me to freeze for a second. It wasn't strong. Just electric enough to grab my attention.

As I got inside my car, I place my bag in the passenger seat, coming to the realization that I would have to put on the best acting of my life all day and maybe for a few weeks until the pain subsided. Knowing Tani, she would be on me like a lion catching its prey.

And I'm trying to avoid letting her know about me. 

Looking at myself in the review mirror one last time, hoping to see a big smile and bright eyes looking back at me, I grow disappointed at seeing nothing of the sort.

Instead, I catch sight of my neighbor doing yoga in tight short leggings. His harry legs lift up to the sky and his butt. . . well, let's just say men are not truly meant to wear those without shorts on top for a reason. I grimace and turn the car on, avoiding him at all costs.

Sorry Mr. Arc, but you're wife was right. Yoga is meant for. . . other people who are not you.

Letting that be the start of my uneventful morning, I drive off to school.

______________________

It was first period and I was losing my mind.

No part of me could relax enough to write my English essay. Just yesterday, Ang was talking to me about life and our future. . . and I realized there is a small concern of mine. I don't know what to do to keep my life.

That's the real problem.

I'm so close to graduating, but I still have a few months left. Months. . . not days or hours. I hate thinking this, but if I don't get run over by a car and die or get kidnapped and killed by some stranger, Stephen will definitely do the job and soon.

Feeling distraught, I was caught off guard when the door swung open. Three students walked in, one of them had a slip of paper in their hand. I didn't think much of it, but looking at how quiet the class began to get, I wondered if they were new students.

Maybe they were the popular kids around here. . . who knows really. I don't pay attention to students, but I wanted a distraction anyway so I took my earphones off to listen in just in time.

"Oh, new students. . ?" Mr. Hens questions to himself. Seems like he didn't even know. With the class growing really silent, I was not concerned whether they were new or not, but I appreciated not having so much chatter going around.

"Yes sir. Here you go." The tall blond with brown eyes said confidently while giving the slip to the teacher who looks back at them.

"And well, would you look at that. My class got quiet without my say." Mr. Hens' eyes lit up for a second, probably thanking those students too. When no one said anything, he continued delightedly, might I add.