CHAPTER 49

"So, are we doing this or not?"

"Look, Mark, I've never driven a car so fast before. I'm going to crash into something."

He laughed, finding humor and amusement in my doubtful words. I don't understand how it was that he was so confident in me. I could get us both killed in the next five seconds. Is that something worth laughing for?

"Look, you know how to drive. So all you have to do is pressure the gas pedal a little more as you go and if you want to slow down the car down the road, you can. It's in your control. The road goes for miles and we're isolated, don't worry about another car being in the way."

I nodded at him, ready to drive a really nice sports car, really fast. With a slow countdown, I accelerated a little more as I ran down the road where the tracks were held at the last time we came. With my confidence boosted a little more, I went faster and faster. The sound of the engine was like music to my ears and it felt nice to be going this fast since I have not been in wolf form for a while. Mark had a big smile on his face while he lowered his window and yelled out of it as I copied his actions. Of course, my eyes stayed on the road but every so often I looked out. He took his phone out and recorded the mountain view beside us on both sides.

"You see! This is worth the risk! Nothing to worry about here- ah. Ah, Tori. T-Tori wait, slow down!"

I turned to him and looked back at what he was suddenly frowning at. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Hunter standing in the middle of the road, less than a mile away. As we neared I slowed down the best I could, but I didn't think I'd stop fast enough before hitting him.

Move out the way!

I yelled at him through our mind link connection. I could feel my wolfs anguish as we got closer. Avia tried communicating through his wolf but he wasn't listening. He didn't listen or respond back. The car wheels were burning loudly, the sound of the tires roughly braking was the only thing that made the situation worse.

Just as the car got close enough to see every detail of his angry face, Mark yelled and closed his eyes while holding to the sides of the car. I yelled but kept my eyes open to make sure we remained alive. What scared me more was when Hunter ran towards us and shifted in the air, jumping over the car entirely and landing behind on all fours. The car came to a forced stop and I wasted no time in getting out. Already knowing the situation we were bound to get in when Mark found out who the wolf really was. As expected, Mark stood out and stared at the wolf in fear.

"Tori. . . " He whispered from the opposite side of the car.

"Yeah?"

"Get in the car. We might be able to get out of here and find Hunter."

"What? What are you-" Mark calmly walked to my side and placed a hand on my arm to move me inside the car slowly, keeping eye contact with the wolf. Not knowing it was Hunter all along.

Hunter growled when Mark touched me and stepped closer baring his teeth.

Mark moved me quicker, but his actions were stopped when Hunter expertly jumped in the air, dropping Mark to the floor and safely tucking me behind him. Mark groaned and kept himself up on his elbows while glancing at me.

Fear present in his eyes, guilt in mine.

"Tori. What are you waiting for? Run! Find Hunter wherever the hell he went! Get out of here!"

"I can't."

"What? What do you mean?"

Hunter once again growled and it made Mark hush up. He stared from the wolf to me, back to the wolf, then lastly landing his eyes on me again.