CHAPTER 23

Edited*

"So, I would like to just relax with you," Hunter began as he looked up from his cup of rainbow swirl. We sat inside the ice cream parlor at the moment a few hours after school. "But, we need to have a little chat first."

"Okay," I pick up my cup to have some sort of distraction. His stern voice only enhanced how serious he is being and I felt compelled to listen to him carefully. He just had that pull to him. . . Or maybe that was just his eyes.

"First the whole situation about you wanting to know about what is going on with the pack. After getting you back, as you know, Derrick agreed to cooperate in finding Stephen's ally. During lunch the other day, I had a call from Derrick and he said that there was a rouge near his territory. That wasn't the problem though, it was that the rouge entered his territory and attacked a guy from his pack."

"How did the rouge enter? Was the man okay?"

"The guy is okay. He fought the rouge off and in this case, unfortunately, he killed the rouge. Now we can't question him or his reason for being in the Golden Pack. Derrick is keeping a look out and has men constantly out spying in Stephen and his whereabouts."

"Anything out of ordinary?"

As much as I didn't care, I wanted to know what he was up to. I felt very disgusted that he gave me off without a care and maybe to him, I'm still in captivity. But, somehow, being away from him even for a few days has given me a new persepective in life.

"Not exaclty. He keeps a usual routine. Aside from that, I feel the need to bring up something that I've noticed in you from when we first met. Not only am I protective because you're my mate, it's due to the aura you carry. There's this indescribable power emerging from you."

I tilt my head, coming to a stop after swallowing my ice cream. "Hunter, this isn't time for jokes."

"Im not kidding," He expressed seriously. His voice remained firm and his eyes were a bit dark now. "Ever since I met you, you carried this aroma, it radiated strength. I thought you were one of us because of this scent but you aren't, which confuses me."

"Okay but what kind of power? It can't be anything more than humane. So why do you look so worried?"

"Tori, rouges can smell power. They yearn for it since they are unwanted and weak on their own. If they find out that you have that power and you're human, they won't think twice about hurting you. Of course they can only smell that power if you're not sprayed with a liquid that will mask it."

"Oh that one liquid Lauren and Will used to mask my 'scent' from those wolves."

"Yes, they said they didn't want you to be noticed as human, but they smelled your scent, they knew you were different. They knew it because they are Beta's, but anyone who tries hard enough, can notice it."

"So, I know I didn't know of your kind before, but why are you telling me this now?"

"I didn't want to overwhelm you with more than is already going on. Knowing about us, about Stephen, our friends. . . A lot has been said so I figured you needed to process everything first."

I nod silently, barely focusing on my ice cream now. Hunter was right, after all. It was a lot and it seemed too unbelievable. I know our differences stretch far and wide, but I want to keep my cool. I don't want anyone worrying for me or thinking I can't handle it.

"Once that other wolf had you, the one that was chasing you at Derricks pack, your scent had masked off. I read in a relic that my father had, that such power will easily overcome the masking spray. We need to find something stronger to keep you safe until everything gets solved. Until we find whoever is riling up the rouges."