CHAPTER 8

Edited*

For the morning of the next day, I decided to keep hidden and in secret during the day, also realizing that I never saw the boys in our first period. But wherever they are, I'm too busy hiding in a classroom with other students that are lounging around, to figure it out. I don't feel like testing whatever luck I may have.

So lunch goes by a bit uneventful, with the only entertainment being these four guys who are sitting in a group a little away from me talking about some game. Apparently the game includes wolves, rouges, and wars. Something about the Alpha being the strongest player- or sorry- wolf. Then they fought over who'd be Alpha. Then came their "pack" name. According to the explanation one of them gave, I overheard that it's like where everyone resides. Then they geek-ed out about some wars and wizards, I'm not all too sure, but it was amusing in the least.

Business people out there really rile kids up with all these fantasies. But other than that, nothing important happened other than talking to teachers on catching up on some work. I stayed after school to finish some worksheets for a few teachers that were going to leave later than normal. That's how the next two days go by. Me hiding but with no reason to because there's no one present. None of my friends at least.

What the heck is going on?

At this point, I'm tempted to call Tani and ask her where she and everyone else is. But, how can I when I'm supposedly saying I need to get away?

So, after this routine, I eventually just go to lunch. I know they will show up, but if I can grab my lunch really quick and dash out in time, no one will notice. Once I make it to the doors of the cafeteria, I don't see them and I breathe in relief. My eyes still search for them while I wait in line, fearing that they'll pop up out of nowhere. So, I pick out my lunch and head down the long path to the doors that lead into the hallway. I get stopped by a few friends here and there, but nothing too big.

Everything worked well had I not been tapped on the shoulder, near a table. I turn behind me and see a very distraught, uncanny best friend.

Tani.

Her eyes start to water. Mine do too and immediately she hugs me. The table next to me was empty so I placed my tray down.

"Where were you?" She whispers out. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I am. Are you? Where were you the last few days?"

"I had to be home, but I kept wondering where you had wandered off to. Where were you? You were gone and never answered our phone calls. None of us! You know how worried we were?"

I just stare at her, barely recalling that I'm not supposed to talk to her.

"We thought you were kidnapped, but Stephen said you were just tired and needed rest. He wouldn't let us visit you." I look down at my plate on the table. Remember Stephen said not to talk to them. . . But do I care?

"What did he do?"

I didn't look at her, my eyes betraying me as tears began to appear.

"Oh my. . . that disgusting bastard." She hugs me again, forcing us to sit while turning my head on her shoulder. I was too weak to protest.

"We need to tell someone. The cops preferably. I can't let this keep happening to you."

"No. You will only make things worse." I say as I pull away and look at anything but her. My resolve comes back to me in a second.

"They already are Tori. You're letting him play with you and that's not right. Never was and since you won't do something about it, I will."

"No please," I beg her.