CHAPTER 20

Edited*

Our concersation about getting to know each other came naturally and lasted longer than we expected. Before we knew it, we only had twenty five minutes to get to school. There was no real reason to worry since we were a bit close by and we had our backpacks with us, but the shock came from us losing track of time.

Hunter paid for us, which I appreciate very much considering my wallet is at Stephen's house. As we walk to the car, my mind thinks about everything he told me. How he's always looked up to his dad for taking on a difficult position as Alpha. How he wants to grow up and have the relationship his parents have with someone special. That one tweaked my heart a bit. It's always something with him and I don't mind it.

Eventually, we get in the car and drive off. Right then he starts to become a bad influence by asking if I rather stay at Angs place for today instead of going to school.

"No, I need to go, so drive me there and nowhere else."

I can hear his grumbling but this was not negotiable, I've missed enough, more than I'm proud of.

"So, I need to know, what will happen if Stephen is caught and all that. Will he be thrown in jail or. . .?"

"When we get him, not if. We know he was in charge, but there's a few things I'm not sure about when it comes to him. Then, as of his punishment, well, that's on him to decide."

"What do you mean?"

Hunter looks at me while we're at a red light. "If he chooses to be difficult, then whatever measures are taken to handle him, will be the answer. If he goes along with everything, then some sort of. . . cell can be his end."

I nod my head at his almost cryptic words. I feel that by him being difficult, Hunter means any measures, so possibly even. . . death? I don't know how I feel when I picture Stephen dead, but the image can't come up because I've never thought anyone was strong enough to do it. Police surely never were on my side.

"In the meantime, Ang wants you to stay with her as her house is farthest from yours. But, if you want you can stay at my place. I'll bring you to school every day, no problem. The further you are from Stephen,  the best."

I nod again, not entirely sure of how I feel to be bothering everyone like this. If anything, this is what I wanted to avoid, becoming a burden for my friends, but I can already imagine Ang smacking me for thinking this way.

"Well, thank you for your help and offer, but I'll stay with Ang. Besides, she'll kill me if I choose to leave her."

"Sounds good. Now, Stephen has to think you're still under Dericks custody, don't know how he's so naive, but becauseof that little fact, you are to be surrounded by any one of us at all times."

"It's crazy to know I no longer live in that house," I mutter watching the world outside my window. It was all a blur with recent memories. "Even crazier that he feels he's gotten rid of me. Although that's no issue, I don't care, it doesn't feel real yet."

Hunter's hand was resting on the car's plank handle, but he lifted it to grab mine, intertwining our fingers softly.

"It is real, and it'll stay that way for good."