CHAPTER 12

Edited*

Now that the dinner party was over, the social party began. I'm not entirely happy about the communication part so I keep placed right next to Ang and Tani who thankfully ease my nerves as some people approach us. We even got to meet an especially friendly cousin of Hunters'.

"Hi, I'm Carlos. What's your name, beautiful?"

The guy in front of me keeps a flirtatious smile, probably thinking I'm going to retort in the same way. But, I don't send one back. The uncomfortable setting only worsens as I feel words slowly get stuckcin my throat.

"I'm Tori. . ." I noticed the girls who were talking to Carlos' sister Caroline, were now looking at Carlos. His sister specifically seemed annoyed at what he wanted to say.

"Beautiful name, doll. Just like the owner, I can't help but stop in my tracks and-"

"Watch it." I heard Hunter say in a warning tone. "She's a guest, Carlos, not a toy." I turn to see his face and he's not pissed, but he also looks serious. "Go find someone else to flirt with."

Carlos rolls his eyes and looks at me again, "Can you believe he's my cousin? How unlucky I know." I smile, finding their banter humorous, before Carlos turns to Hunter again.

"By the way, I can't find someone else to flirt with because not only are all the other girls here relatives, but I've already tried with Angela and Tani and it didn't work. So sue me for giving this beautiful face a try."

"Give it a rest," Caroline said stepping forward and placing her hands on her brother's shoulders. "Why don't you go ask Aunt Hailey if she can turn on the pool lights."

"Oh," Carlos' eyes light up a bit as he glances back at me. "You wanna skinnydip with me?"

Caroline gasps, smacking her brother. "Carlos!"

Hunter who's standing beside me tenses a bit, but before I can glance at him, he moves forward, grabbing Carlos' arm and walking away.

"No, not the suit-"

"We need to talk about manners and a few other rules that you seemed to have ignored a few minutes ago."

With that, they were gone and Caroline simply shook her head turning to look back at us indifferently. I was still confused looking behind her where Hunter disappeared with Carlos.

"Is it safe to leave them alone? Hunter won't hurt Carlos?"

Caroline laughs. "Who says I don't want that to happen?"

Tani laughs with her, "You know, he is annoying."

I don't respond, not needing to. The conversation eventually flows, talking about each other and getting to know more about the Knight family.

"Hey Carol, where's Hunter?"

We all turned to another feminine voice. She's standing beside us, a smile on her face but she does look a bit concerned.

"I'm not sure why?"

"Because Carlos is missing. Last time that happened-"

"They're fine. Hunter's just reminding him of a few things."

"What things?"

They keep quiet for a second, but it seems like it clicks in the girls mind. Although I have no clue what clicked. Caroline nods when the girl gasps.

"Holy bite. . . never mind."

"So, girls, this is my other cousin, Alyssa." She said in a bright tone, introducing us to her as well.