Bros

Summary: Jonas has concerns.

***

JONAS: Is it worth it?

ISAK: Huh?

JONAS: [setting down his slice of pizza, he leans back in the booth of the snack bar they've stopped in on the way home from school.] I was wondering...you've gone through a lot, already, with Even. And it hasn't even been, like, two months since you first...whatevered with him. Is it worth it?

ISAK: [chews slowly, swallows, takes a sip of his drink before answering] Yeah.

JONAS: [waits a full minute] C'mon, man. Give me more than that.

ISAK: [chuckles] Yeah, it's worth it. It's not easy, but didn't someone once say that nothing worth having ever is? Or something?

JONAS: Yeah. I just worry, man.

ISAK: [grins] Aww, you care.

JONAS: [punches Isak on the arm. Hard.] Dickhead.

ISAK: [rubbing the spot] Ow! Asshole. [laughs] C'mon, I know you're my bro and you have my back.

JONAS: Always. [a few moments pass] So, it's good with you guys?

ISAK: It's still new, so yeah. It's good. For now.

JONAS: Expecting it to go south?

ISAK: [shakes his head] No, not that. I just...I don't know what I'm doing. There's such a fine line between being there for him and smothering him. I'm...kinda learning as I go, here. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wake up some mornings expecting to find a totally different Even.

JONAS: That's what I mean, though. Is it worth it? Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but that's a lot of responsibility to take on.

ISAK: [nodding] It's a lot to take on, yeah. But it is totally fucking worth it to me to be with someone who makes me feel the way Even makes me feel. And to know that I'm good for him, that me - the fucking ultimate fuck-up Isak Valtersen - is good for someone...can be good for someone that amazing...?

JONAS: Hey, don't build him up and then put yourself down, man.

ISAK: [rolls his eyes to cover his embarrassment] No, I know. I'm not, but you know what I mean.

JONAS: [quietly] I get it. You love him.

ISAK: [brow furrowing] Is that what this is? Is this how you felt with Eva?

JONAS: [brows lifting] Whew, man...I don't know how to compare, but...yeah, maybe it's the same. Shit, I dunno. [laughs]

ISAK: [toying with his food] You ever think about her...that way?

JONAS: Sometimes. But the past is the past, you know?

ISAK: [nods] I get that.

JONAS: [resumes eating his pizza] I meant what I said the other day, man. I'm happy for you. And I like Even, he's cool. But I'm still going to worry a bit, if that's okay.

ISAK: You're my bro, it's your job.

JONAS: It is. [chewing the last of his crust] And you can pay me by buying me some more pizza. I'm still fucking hungry.