Family Matters

Surreal.

That is the only word that comes to mind when Isak finally meets the infamous Mr. Næsheim, Christian. It's like peering into the future of some parallel universe. He's a mirror image of Even, or Even in about twenty-five years. The same bright, blue eyes. The same mesmerizing mouth. He's...hot.

And cold.

The physical resemblance is all they seem to share. Where Even's smile is pure sunshine, his father's is downright glacial.

Mrs. Næsheim, Sabrina, is considerably younger, delicate, and almost disappears into the background when they're all seated at the dinner table.

The spread is nice. Roasted chicken, steamed fish, brightly colored vegetables, potatoes, rice. It's quite a feast and smells delicious. But food is the last thing on Isak's mind.

When they walked in, Christian had greeted his son with what Isak could only describe as a half-assed hug. One arm, barely any contact, and a perfunctory "good to see you" were all he'd afforded Even. Isak had gotten even less, just a quick once-over that had left a chill over his skin that hasn't dissipated.

Even is tense.

Isak's never seen him like this, and he doesn't like it. He hates the wary look in Even's beautiful eyes, hates the way he's chewing his bottom lip like he's waiting for something awful to happen.

They're seated across from each other at the dining room table, so he can't even take his hand.

Christian is on one end, and Sabrina is on the other. There's no sign of little Camilla, which Isaak also doesn't like.

CHRISTIAN: [between bites, not looking up from his plate] So, Isak is it? What do you do, Isak?

EVEN: He's in school, dad.

CHRISTIAN: Ah, yes. Which school?

ISAK: Nissen.

CHRISTIAN: [looks up, his knife and fork hovering above his plate] You're not in uni yet?

ISAK: Not yet, no.

CHRISTIAN: Third year?

ISAK: Second.

CHRISTIAN: [resuming his dinner] I see.

A heavy silence settles over the table. Christian eats heartily, while Even picks at his plate. Isak should be starving, but there's no room in his stomach due to the herd of buffalo currently stampeding around in there. He steals a glance at Sabrina as she cuts tiny pieces of chicken and slips them into her mouth.

She's a lovely woman, fine-boned and fair. And she seems to like Even, despite not having said more than three words to him since they arrived.

CHRISTIAN: What do you plan to do after school?

Isak and Even share a look.

Christian looks up at Isak.

CHRISTIAN: I'm sure you've made plans past upper-secondary school.

ISAK: Uh...I'm still sorting that out.

The look Christian gives him is unmistakable: resigned disapproval.

CHRISTIAN: You know, Even... [Christian returns his attention to his plate] Leave it to you to do something like this.

EVEN: Something like what?

CHRISTIAN: A second year? Really?

Isak notes the red rising up Even's neck, a stark contrast to the bright white of his shirt. He's about to explode.