Glimpse

The boy squad, including Even, are hanging out in the Nissen yard before school. It's an unseasonably warm day in late March, and none of them seem ready to leave the sunlit benches and head inside to the cold, utilitarian classrooms.

Even and Isak are sitting on the railing while the rest of the boys have claimed the table and benches for themselves. Even's arm rests behind Isak's back, his fingers occasionally brushing lightly across the thin strip where Isak's jacket doesn't cover his back. It's...private. It's totally chill.

MAGNUS: Ugh, I need this week to be over.

MAHDI: Bro, it's only Tuesday.

MAGNUS: [groans loud and long] I know. Yesterday felt like a week all by itself.

JONAS: You still having problems in Norwegian?

MAGNUS: I don't get it. It's, like, Norwegian. Shouldn't I just ace it?

JONAS: Don't stress about it, you'll only make it worse.

MAHDI: I'm rocking Norwegian, bro. I'll help you if you need it.

MAGNUS: [his face lighting up] Yeah?

MAHDI: [smiles brightly] No problemo.

JONAS: See? Stressing for nothing.

From their perch, Isak can watch the student body as they enter the space, gathering in clumps to overshare or to commiserate. He offers a smile and a nod to Eva when he catches her eye. She joins Sana and Chris, and the three of them immediately fall into whatever girl-talk they normally do. Isak briefly wonders what they do talk about so animatedly. Wonders what's just made Sana's dimples pop, and what has Chris wiggling her eyebrows.

They're pretty cool chicks, all of them. Isak realizes he'd like to hang out with them more. Then he'd have, like, one giant squad. A super squad. What with Magnus hooking up with Vilde, they were heading in that direction anyway.

Isak sneaks a glance at Even, and he looks crazy good. His hair is perfect, and he's wearing that retro-varsity jacket that Isak likes so much. It makes him look like James Dean or some shit, and Isak still can't believe that he gets to have this guy. That Even is his.

The taller boy's eyes crinkle with mirth at something else Magnus has said. Isak had missed it but doesn't really care what it was. He's more interested in the way Even's face transforms with his laughter. This guy was born to laugh. He wears joy like a second skin, like his every cell is suffused with it. Fucking gorgeous.

Isak's about to lean up and whisper something to that effect when Even's expression shifts. His whole body tenses and his face pales. It's such a sudden and disparate state from the one he'd been in only a breath ago that Isak can't help but follow his gaze to the source.

A group of people has entered the yard.

Isak's seen most of them before, but there's one guy he doesn't recognize. He studies him in parts. A wild mane of chestnut hair, deep olive skin, and a wide full mouth. A slight frame. A little short but, all-in-all, he's...cute.

The guy's in the midst of what looks like a pretty heated conversation.

Even's hand drops away from Isak's back, and Isak turns to ask him who the guy is, but...

He knows.

Even's face tells him everything he needs to know about the guy on the other end of the yard.

Isak swallows hard and turns back to look at the newcomer.

He's staring back. At Even. There's a filament of recognition stretching between them that makes Isak's stomach churn.

Panic.

Panic and fear.

And anger. An irrational anger that creeps up from his gut and wants to spill out of his mouth in a string of profanity.

Isak wants to grab Even, wrap his hand around his neck and pull him to him. He wants to break his connection with the other guy, somehow. Remind Even of his promise.

Isak's gaze darts back to the boy's. He looks awestruck. Like...he can't believe what he's seeing. Like Even is a mirage in the desert. He looks thirsty.

Meanwhile, Isak's on the verge of a fucking panic attack.

But then, Even turns to face him. Slowly, so slowly, he looks at Isak. His gaze charts Isak's face, mapping it. Cataloging it, perhaps.

Eyes, forehead, nose, mouth.
Eyes, hair, mouth.

Mouth.

Mouth.

He finally settles on Isak's eyes. He must see the fear in them because his expression morphs into the most beatific smile that Isak has ever seen. His eyes, Even's eyes, are clear. And full. Of love. For him.

Before Isak can say anything, Even turns back to the other boy, who hasn't moved.

He isn't looking at Even anymore, he's looking at Isak.

Isak swallows, but then Even slips his arm across his shoulders. His hand squeezes Isak's bicep as he pulls him into a half-embrace. Isak is so grateful for the acknowledgment that he doesn't have time to even consider the implications of such a public display.

Even has just claimed him.

In front of Mikael.

Isak meets Even's eyes just as his boyfriend mouths the words "love you," and he wants to cry.

Then Even looks back across the yard.

Isak does too.

Mikael's smile is soft. Genuine. His gaze darts back and forth between Isak and Even, finally settling on Even, and he nods before turning back to his group.

JONAS: Hey, Isak, are you coming?

ISAK: Huh?

He'd missed a big chunk of a conversation, apparently.

Even's hand drops to his waist. Suddenly breathing is an issue.

MAGNUS: Pizza. Later. Can you skip?

ISAK: Uh...I...

EVEN: [nudging Isak's shoulder] You deserve it, live a little. [he winks]

ISAK: [smiling at him before turning to the guys] Fuck it, yeah. Sounds good.

EVEN: [brightly to the guys, as if he hasn't just rocked Isak's world] Am I invited too?

MAGNUS: Dude, of course!

MAHDI: You have to, they have the best fucking pizza, bro.

JONAS: [to Even] Yeah, man. [a small smile] You're one of us now.

��"�'4��