Strings

Summary: Isak wants to know if the guitar on the wall is just for show.

***

Even and Isak are sitting on the floor of Even's room, studying. Even has music on in the background, a randomized playlist that jumps from Nas to Aurora to Beyonce. Once Drunk in Love fades, a melancholy guitar begins to strum. Isak's not familiar with the song, but he likes it. It reminds him that he's been meaning to ask Even about the bass and the guitar hanging on his wall.

ISAK: Do you really play?

EVEN: [looks up from the scattered papers on the floor] Hmm?

ISAK: [nods back toward the instruments] I've never heard you play. Are you any good?

EVEN: [shrugs] I'm alright.

He unfolds himself from his position on the floor and gets to his feet, shaking his legs to encourage circulation. Isak thinks this must be what it's like for a baby giraffe when it learns to walk.

EVEN: I need a break, so how about I play something for you?

ISAK: [smiling] Yeah, I'd like that.

EVEN: Okay. [he pauses the music and reaches for the acoustic guitar, careful not to knock Isak in the head with it] Any requests?

ISAK: Surprise me.

Even does.

Isak is transfixed as his boyfriend's fingers move over the strings, eliciting the most beautifully melancholy piece of music Isak's ever heard. It's classical, maybe. He's not sure. He's never paid much attention to anything other than pop and hip-hop, but it sounds familiar.

And then Even begins to sing.

EVEN: I heard there was a secret chord that David played, and it pleased the Lord. But you don't really care for music, do ya?

Jesus Christ.

Isak doesn't want to move a muscle, doesn't want to do anything that would interrupt the performance. Even's voice is...it's...It's him. It's so much like him, strong and soft, and broken and whole.

Even's head is down, his body curled over the instrument. He's off in a world of his own, a world that Isak knows he could never travel to with him.

EVEN: Baby, I've been here before. I've seen this room, and I've walked this floor. I used to live alone before I knew ya.

The music is mournful, isolating, and Isak hates that it is so beautiful. Hates that this piece of magic so clearly comes from Even's pain. All he can do is listen. Breathe, and listen, and fall even further.

EVEN: I've seen your flag on the Marble Arch. Love is not a victory march, it's a cold, and it's a broken hallelujah.

When he finishes, Even takes a deep breath before looking up.

EVEN: [his eyes widen when he looks at Isak] Are you alright?

Isak tries to speak, but his voice is not his own. It feels like he's swallowed a cupful of sand.

Concerned, Even lays the guitar on the floor and moves over to Isak, taking his face his hands. He sweeps his thumbs across Isak's cheeks.

Isak is shocked to feel moisture on his skin.

EVEN: What's wrong?

ISAK: Nothing, I... That was really nice.

EVEN: [smiles] Thanks.

ISAK: [clearing his throat again] When did you learn to play?

EVEN: [drops his hands but takes one of Isak's in one of his] When I was nine. After I was diagnosed.