Potential

There's a bubble in Even's chest that won't pop. It just gets bigger and bigger, and it's so full of light and joy that he wonders if he isn't on the verge of another episode.

It's been good lately. Everything has. School, home, Isak. Alt er bra.

He feels like he has a handle on this life stuff, having settled into a routine, and it's nice. Even typically hates the concept of the mundane, but this time it buoys him. He's happy, so fucking happy. Right now, he's borderline euphoric.

Even had woken up this morning with one thought: how long has it been?

He hadn't yet considered when, exactly, he and Isak began. Even had wanted him since the first time he saw him and, since then, Isak has lived inside him in some form or another. As a fascination. As a focus. As a fantasy. And, now, as Even's reality.

But this morning, Isak had mentioned something about his parents' anniversary and a dinner and all Even can think is, when is ours? Because it would be nice to pinpoint a moment on the calendar and call it the start of them.

Like, is it that warm, blue-sky day in August when he saw the blond for the first time? Nah. Maybe it's the 3rd of October, when Isak finally, finally, noticed him in the cafeteria? Because that would make them six months old.

Or is it the 7th of October when they finally, finally, spoke for the first time?

Did they begin with those godawful cheese toasties?
Or was it the night of the near-kiss?
In the pool?
The morning after?

Even wants to know, no, needs to. It's becoming an obsession and it's fucking frustrating because he can't find the moment. There's no starting line for him to look back on. But he needs one. He just needs it. Time matters.

So he decides.

The 9th of December.

It's the night he'd confessed everything.
It's the night he'd let go of everything.
It's the night he'd given up.

It's the night Isak had chosen him. Had loved him.

Had saved him.

So...almost three months. That's worth celebrating.

Even needs to make plans.

He briefly considers reserving another suite, but quickly shoots that idea down. Maybe dinner out. There's a restaurant he keeps seeing, Ett Bord. Looks fantastic. Eclectic, and fun. Like he and his Isak. Yeah, maybe that's the thing. And they could go to a museum, or a play...

ESKILD: Even?

Even turns, startled to find himself standing in the hallway outside Isak's room. He has no idea how long he's been there.

ESKILD: [eyeing him carefully] You okay?

EVEN: [smiles immediately] I'm great, you?

ESKILD: [takes a beat to study Even before answering] I'm fine, thanks. Why are you out here? Is Isak home?

EVEN: Uh, no. He had to go see his parents. Well, his mom.

ESKILD: Oh. [folds his arms] You know, you've been spending a lot of time here these last few months. It's like having another roommate.

EVEN: [wincing] Yeah, about that, I feel like I should contribute more.

ESKILD: [nods] I think that's fair. I don't mind being a caretaker to all you children, but it gets costly.

EVEN: [leans against the wall] Money?

ESKILD: That's between you and Isak, he covers the rent for his room.