The Hows and the Whys

Summary: Nissen schoolyard. Isak is waiting for Even to meet him afterschool. Something's been bothering him. Well, not bothering him, just...niggling at him. Sometimes, he's a bit slow on the uptake. And he has questions.

***

ISAK: [sees Even approaching and jumps up off the table where he's been sitting] You lied to me.

EVEN: [slows to a stop, brow furrowed] What?

ISAK: You lied.

EVEN: [isn't sure what to make of Isak's declaration, he can be...dramatic at times.] About what?

ISAK: [talking more to himself than to Even] I can't believe it. [starts walking]

EVEN: [falls into step with him] Mind letting me in on the secret?

ISAK: [stops and spins on Even] It was a trick, that's what it was. You tricked me. [stalks off]

EVEN: [puts a hand on Isak's arm to stop him again] Babe? What are you talking about?

ISAK: You didn't forget your I.D. [he spits the word 'forget']

EVEN: [eyebrows raised] ...What?

ISAK: [pokes Even in the chest] Admit it.

EVEN: Are you...are you talking about the first day you came over to my place?

ISAK: [rolls his eyes, sighing heavily] You know exactly what I'm talking about. You lied.

EVEN: [fighting the grin] Uh...yeah, I did.

ISAK: [mouth agape] I can't believe you! [stalks off again]

EVEN: [jogs to catch up] Are you really pissed about that?

ISAK: [stops] Yes! [groans, running a hand down his face] I mean, no...I... It's just that...

EVEN: [inches closer, voice soft] What, Isak? Talk to me. Do I need to apologize? I know I can be unpredictable.

ISAK: I just... [looks off into the street] Do you know how confused I was? I couldn't read you, like, at all, Even.

EVEN: I know.

ISAK: [leans against the fence that surrounds the school] I didn't know if you liked me.

EVEN: [soft smile] I did.

ISAK: Yah, I know that now, but back then, I thought I was crazy.

EVEN: [lifts one eyebrow]

ISAK: [wincing] Sorry, but you know what I mean. I thought I was imagining things. And now I know you did like me since, like, the first day of school. But I was trying to figure you out, and you were giving me all these mixed signals.

EVEN: [nodding] I know.

They walk in silence for a bit, Isak still in a state of retroactive agitation.

EVEN: You know, you weren't the only one trying to figure things out.

ISAK: [glances over at Even] What do you mean?

EVEN: [shrugs one shoulder] I didn't know if you were interested in me.

ISAK: Seriously? I think I was pretty fucking obvious.

EVEN: You weren't. The first time I spoke to you, you didn't say a word to me. I wasn't even sure you'd follow me out of that bathroom. And even after we sat on the bench, and I shared the Jay with you, you didn't say anything. You wouldn't even look at me. I had to start the conversation.