Mutual

Author's Note: This will be the last moment for a little while. I'm up against another deadline. Thank you for reading!

Summary: Even is extra. Isak is an idiot. And it's all mutual.

***

The flat is dark and empty when Isak gets in. It's just as well. After his conversation with the boys yesterday, and an awkward meeting with his parents last night that had kept him and his boyfriend apart, Isak's not sure he has the energy to deal with Even right now. The guys may be right about talking to him, but it can wait a bit longer. He just wants to collapse on his bed and veg for a while.

Isak's bedroom door is closed, and he can see light flickering in the crack under it. Carefully, he turns the handle and pushes it open. The room has been...transformed.

White candles flicker on every flat surface, casting a golden glow over his plain, white walls. The shadows dance over his orange curtains, giving them the illusion of moving sunlight.

In the center of the bed, Even has spread out a blanket that Isak doesn't recognize. He's sitting atop it, lotus-style, and smiling up at him with so much love in his eyes that Isak's breath catches.

There are plates of food, sausages, cheeses, and what looks like an entire bakery full of bread and pastries. There's also a flat square covered in wrapping paper, with a big red bow, laying on his pillow.

"What...?" Isak clears the gravel from his throat as his backpack slides from his grip and falls to the floor. "Even..."

"Happy Three-month-aversary, Isak."

He can't move. He wants to, wants to walk over to Even and pull him into a kiss until neither of them can breathe.

This.

This is what the secrecy was all about. Isak just knows it. He just knows. All of that worry and doubt, the pain – self-inflicted – all because he didn't just ask. Didn't just trust in them. In Even.

Hot, thick droplets fall from his eyes to the floor.

Even is up and off the bed in a flash.

"I thought..."

"Shhh." Even pulls him into an embrace and Isak never wants to leave it. Never. Not fucking ever.

They stand like that for an indeterminable amount of time. Isak basks in the heat of Even's body, soaking it in like the rays of the sun. Even feels solid under Isak's hands as he runs them up and under his t-shirt.

"I'm sorry I worried you."

"No, I...I made a lot of assumptions based on nothing." Isak snorts into Even's chest. "It's what I do best."

Even pulls back, holding Isak slightly away from his body. "Promise me something."

"Anything."

"If anything like this happens again, if you think something is going on, just talk to me. Okay?"

"I tried."

Even nods. "I know, but...really. If it's this important, if I'm freaking you out, tell me. Say 'Even, stop screwing around, I really need to talk.' Okay?"

Isak nods and wipes angrily at his face. The wet won't stop. "I don't know why I'm crying."

Even pulls him back into his arms. "It's just relief, baby. That's all. Come. Sit."

They move to the bed and Isak can see that Even has gone all out. Also, he's suddenly starving.

"This looks great."