Chapter 8: What Now

Dean slammed his laptop shut, "There has to be atleast one case!"

"It's okay, Dean, we'll find one," Sam comforted the older hunter.

"Why are we even trying to find a case when we have more important things to worry about?" Dean asked in frustration with the world.

"There's nothing we can do for now, we just have to keep occupied until we can," Sam assured him, although he didn't seem to believe the string of words himself.

Dean put the laptop aside, going into the kitchen and fetching himself and Sammy a beer.

"How's the tablet coming along?" Dean asked between sips.

"Well," Kevin shot Sam a worried glance, "It's not going so well. Can't read most of these. The person who made the tablet made it into one big puzzle. The text is scrambled across the stone. It's rather difficult to decipher."

"Great," Dean spoke sarcastically, taking a larger swig of his beer.

"How's Cas?" Sam probed.

"What do you mean?" Dean squinted at his brother with a look of if-you-are-entailing-that-we-are-a-thing-I-will-punch-you.

"Just that," Sam continued, "He's a new human. How does he feel about it?"

"I don't know, we didn't talk about our feelings, Sammy. Cas is still the same Cas," Dean spit rather harshly at his brother.

"Okay, man, sorry," Sam threw up his hands in false offense.

"No, Sammy," Dean hunched over, pinching the bridge of his nose, "I'm sorry, man. It's just, there's a lot of things going on, and it kills me to think that I can't do anything about it."

Sam got up from his chair, over to his brother, and rubbed his back sympathetically, "It's okay. When it presents itself, we'll pounce. We just have to wait it out."

Dean slumped back and took another chug, looking at the ceiling. I can't do anything right he thought to himself.

It wasn't long before Cas came down the stairs, in a pair of Dean's sweatpants, and wet hair framing his face. He strode past everyone in the main room and into the kitchen to make what everyone presumed to be a PB&J.

"Was he wearing," Sam's eyes followed over to Cas, "your sweatpants?"

Dean could feel him smirking through the back of his skull. He turned around.

"Yes, Sam," Dean spoke, "if you hadn't noticed, his clothes were stained in blood and he's never needed to buy clothes so those were his only pair. So, excuse me for letting him borrow my clothes until we can get him some."

Sam smiled at him. "Mhmm, sure," he mumbled.

"What did you say?" Dean gave him a cold glare.

"Nothing," Sam motioned the white flag surrender.

Castiel walked out, with a coffee mug in his hands, "Anyone else want coffee?"

"No thank you, but Kevin looks like he needs some," Sam implied.

To prove his point, Kevin sluggishly nodded when he was asked. 

"Okay, I'll be right back," Castiel walked off, and the clinking of mugs and other glassware rang from the kitchen.

There was a few minutes of silence, until Castiel came back in with the coffee. After handing off one mug to Kevin, Castiel strolled over to the couch and sat down next to Dean. A few more clicks on the laptop and...

"Guys! Guys, I think I found something!" Kevin cheered.

"Thank God!" Dean darted from his seat to have a look at the laptop screen in Kevin's lap.

"People go missing for years then their bodies just show up around town," Kevin ran his fingers under the text as he read from it.

"Sounds like a normal serial killer," Sam rolled his eyes.

"Maybe, except--" Kevin started.

"They show up drained off blood, with no bite marks, which excludes vampires," Dean interrupted.

"Well," Sam grabbed his coat, "We should check it out."

"Woah there, hold up Sammy," Dean pressed his hand to Sam's chest, "You aren't fully healed."

"Dean, I'm healed enough, and you can't expect me to stay cooped up in here with nothing to do," Sam rolled his eyes.

"Show me your healed. Let's go to the shooting range," Dean pointed over to the hallway that led to the range.

"Fine, let's," Sam moved in a you-first gesture.

Dean led them down to the shooting range. He pulled the gun from his jacket pocket and handed it over. Bullets pierced the air and hit the carboard in the back of the room. Castiel went to fetch the cutout and brought it back to the brothers. When he lifted it for them to see, it showed that every shot that was fired was a fatal should to either the head or the heart. Sam smirked, happy with himself, and looked over to Dean, who squinted at the cardboard before looking at the younger hunter.

"Fine, grab your stuff and meet us out by the car," Dean walked out of the room without another word, and Cas soon followed.