Chapter 13: Losing My Religion

"What do you mean it was, God? I thought he left the building?" Dean swallowed hard.

"It was him, I'm sure. Plus, when you went to meet Death, didn't he even say he had to collect God's soul one day? He said he had as in, he hasn't done it yet, so we already knew he was alive, we just didn't know where," Castiel corrected.

"Even so, why would He choose now to try to reach out to us, He didn't when the apocalypse was underway," Dean further poked.

"Well, technically the apocalypse was supposed to happen, until of course you basically rewrote that verse of the bible when you and your brother stopped it, so He wouldn't save the day when the day was supposed to be like that. Besides, it's probably because of the angels being cast out of Heaven," Castiel remarked.

"Yea, okay," Dean continued, "Wait, He never even mentioned the angels falling, He said trials."

"He did," Castiel rubbed his chin while pondering, "I wonder why-- oh, oh dear."

"What is it, Cas?" Dean looked at him in confusion.

"Well, it's just that-- I think you're brother is looking to try and finish the last trial," Castiel flinched as if the words stung his tongue like holy water to a demon.

"What?!" Dean snarled.

"Dean, please, calm down!" Castiel insisted.

"No! Did you know about this?" Dean hissed.

"He asked me about them, yes, but I didn't think he was going to proceed with it," Cas made sure to cover his face from suspected fists.

"Goddamn it," Dean looked up, "Sorry."

"We'll figure this out," Castiel went back to glaring out the window.

"Damn right, I swear. I can't believe no one told me about this," Dean growled.

Castiel didn't look at him, a feeling of guilt waving over him. The rest of the drive home was quiet and Dean didn't pick up on the tapping of his thumbs.

~~~

"What the hell were you thinking?" Dean slammed the door open, storming over to his brother, wagging his finger scornfully.

"What are you talking about?" Sam only looked up from his book to swat Dean's hand from his face.

"Oh, don't give me that shit. You're trying to do the third trial, and not even tell me?" Dean accused.

Sam shot a disappointing glare at Castiel, who shyly avoided his cold stare. "That is not of you concern, Dean. I'm a grown man, I can make my own decisions," Sam buried his nose into his book.

Dean knocked the book out of Sam's hands, flinging it across the bunker. "Sam! Since when am I not to be included in decisions to, oh I don't know, close the gates of Hell and kill my brother in the process. You do know you're basically commiting suicide by doing this, right?" Dean angrily stated.

"Yes, I do. What I don't know, is why you are being such a dick right now," Sam got up from his seat and shoved his brother from his personal space before going to pick up his book.

Dean followed, "I'm the dick? If I find even the smallest thing, I tell you. You're the one that forgot to tell me quite a few things, for instance, when you didn't have a soul, I had to find it out from that bitch we ganked. Oh, and who can forget the fact that you were still here practically the entire time I thought you were in the cage getting your soul gang banged by Lucifer and Michael. So, please explain to me how I'm the dick in this situation."