Chapter 1

I remember feeling like I couldn't breathe. Strapped into the metal chair with hundred others, feeling suffocated by the lack of information we were given. I glanced to my right and saw Jasper clasping onto his seat belt, leaning his head against the backrest, with his eyes closed shut. I could see the fear resonating from him.

Truth be told, we were all scared.

All hundred of us; dropped off from the one place we have known to be the only place to survive. They were sending us off to our deaths.

"Hey,"

I glanced at the boy sitting next to me. He had a slight hint of amusement smeared across his face.

"You look like someone I have not seen before," he said.

(Kaya Scodelario as Xavier Carter)

John Murphy was right. I was someone they would not have seen before. I spent all my life in the lock up after I had assaulted one of the guards that took my mother away from me to float her off the Ark for giving birth to a bastard child.

The Ark. The one place that was fit for survival, yet the last place to raise your voice. Democracy was something they had not heard of.

"You haven't," I responded, hoping my vagueness would bore him out of the conversation, but it only heightened his curiosity.

"Well, where have you been hiding?" he asked, as he ran his gaze on me.

It was not the fact that John Murphy was trying to make small talk with me, but the fact that his eyes literally raped me for the next five seconds that pissed me off.

"How about this, Murphy?" I said assertively, "If this thing does land on Earth, and the radiation doesn't turn our skin inside out, rid us off oxygen and bring us to an untimely death, I'll personally make sure you're the first person to greet death with open arms."

John let out a chuckle, but he stared at me stunned, speechless, and unsure of how to say anything at all. So I took advantage of his silence.

"Speak to me again," I said, "and I will make my life's mission to gauge your eyeballs out."

"Easy, tiger," John finally managed to speak, "What were you locked up for? First degree murder?" To my luck, he did not wait for my answer. Instead, he scoffed and turned his gaze away from me. I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes.

All of a sudden, everyone gasped as we heard the sound of the metal doors close and eventually felt the ship detach itself from the Ark.

I do not know about the rest of them. But that was the longest, most gut-wrenching and scariest five minutes of my life. And truth be told; I do not remember most of the ride down towards Earth. All I could remember were the screaming of a hundred convicted teenagers and kids, and the clear sound of a malfunction, some crazy girl named Clarke telling a bunch of wanna-be spacewalkers to get back into their seats, and complete darkness from having hit my head hard against the backrest and passing out.