Chapter 20

Finally, it stopped raining bullets on us.

Lexa had taken a handful of her warriors with her to fight off the Mountain Men that were shooting down on us.

"Xavier," Octavia's voice came through the radio.

"Are you guys in," I asked, and saw Clarke coming towards me slowly, staring at the mountain as she made her way.

"We have an issue," she said, "Raven can't find a way to open the door. It's locked from the inside."

Damn it!

"It's not impossible," Raven said, "It's going to take a while. All I have to do is hack the lock."

"Hurry up, Raven," I said as I saw the concerned look on Clarke's face grow, "I don't think we have much time." I slipped the radio into my back pocket and asked Clarke, "What's wrong?"

"It's too quiet," she said and met my gaze, "I have a bad feeling about this."

"Well, they're not shooting down on us," I said, "That's a good thing."

"I don't know," she let out a deep breath and glanced around.

Kane, who had been silent all the while, approached us, "Clarke, what is the hold up?"

Clarke responded with silence, filled with uncertainty.

All of a sudden, everyone turned towards the entrance when it began to open. We took a couple of steps away from the door, and gasped when we saw people coming out one by one; led by guards from Mount Weather.

"Hey, look!" one of the guards exclaimed, "They're coming out!"

"They're surrendering," Clarke muttered under her breath, confused.

Wait a minute...

The guards from Mount Weather were not wearing their usual HAZMAT suits. They we breathing the air outside, which meant...

"Clarke," I gulped.

"Something isn't right," she acknowledged, and then turned to me, "Those are Grounders,"

Suddenly, Lexa showed with her warriors, and behind them, very coyly, Cage and his entourage showed up. Once again, none of them were wearing their suits.

"What did you do," Clarke gasped at Lexa horrified.

"What you would have done," she responded firmly, with her hand on the pommel of her sword, and her chin raised high and mighty, "I saved my people,"

"Where are my people," she asked sternly.

"I'm sorry, Clarke," Lexa said softly.

"You see, Clarke," Cage chimed in enthusiastically, "They weren't exactly part of the deal." He smirked at me, when I took a step towards him. But Kane pulled me back.

"What," Clarke stammered, "What are you talking about?"

"Your Commander has made a deal," Cage smirked, "I let her people go, and none of mine gets butchered,"

"What about the prisoners from the Ark," Clarke cried out at Lexa, "They'll be all killed."

"I'm pretty sure she doesn't care about that, Clarke," I growled.

Lexa let out a deep breath, and after giving me a quick glance, she turned her gaze back to Clarke, "I do care. But I made this decision with my head and not my heart. The duty to protect my people comes first,"