Chapter 8

"Well," Clarke let out a deep breath as she closed the gates and turned towards us, "That's all of them." She placed her hands on her hips and took one good look at us.

Monty, Harper, Octavia, a wounded Jasper who had regained consciousness while we were at the bridge, Bellamy and I stood in front of her with our weapons.

Clarke sighed, "Right. Now, let's pray this plan of yours plays out, Bellamy," she nodded towards the drop ship and said to Jasper, "Let's go change your bandage."

Jasper, groaning, followed the blonde girl and they disappeared into the ship. Octavia turned around in her heels, still giving the rest of the group the silent treatment about the whole ordeal, headed towards the ship as well. Harper and Monty broke into their own little conversation, which left Bellamy and I standing in each other's company.

Feeling slightly awkward, I cleared my throat. Bellamy glanced at me.

"Xavier," Monty's voice was a blessing in disguise. I literally ran towards him.

"What's up," I asked him.

"Be on the look out from the south," he said, "Harper is taking the east, and I'll be taking the north. I'll have Octavia keep en eye on the west,"

I nodded, "Sounds like a plan,"

I find it awkward that for someone who had never used a weapon her entire life, these guys trusted me to be a soldier.

I wasn't planning on fighting off the Grounders, I thought to myself as I climbed the vantage point. I wasn't planning for any one of them to be here either. I glanced over my shoulder towards the camp sight, and caught a glimpse of Bellamy walking towards Octavia. I sighed, feeling dejected, when I saw Octavia brushing off her brother and walking away again.

She was clearly hurt.

So was I. But why did I feel bad for Bellamy all of a sudden?

Perhaps, it was because I felt bad for telling a secret, which was not mine to tell?

I exhaled deeply and turned towards the trees. It was dark, except for the light that shone through the leaves from the bright moon. It was eerily quiet except for the crackling from the fire in the camp. I wasn't sure what I was keeping my eye on. Even if the Grounders approached us, how were we going to defend ourselves?

Seven of us against a hundred of them: Bellamy was kidding himself.

At least my plan would not have involved the whole lot of them dying.

"Hey," I glanced down and saw Bellamy staring up at me, "Do you need some company?"

I stared back at him, slightly confused at his gentleness. I saw sincerity in his gaze, and after taking a quick glance towards Octavia's direction, I glanced down at him and said, "Yeah, I guess,"

He nodded in acknowledgement and climbed the tree slowly, and carefully. I shifted from where I sat so that he could get up and sit beside me. It wasn't big, the tree, but it was strong enough to hold our weights.

Once he managed to get up and sit beside me, he got comfortable and sighed, "Climbing trees is not my forte,"

I gave him a soft smile and returned my gaze towards the trees; where they should be.

"You might have been locked up your whole life, but you've got some skills, Carter," Bellamy chuckled.

Feeling slightly irritated by him carefree-ness, I glanced at him, "What is it, Bellamy?"