Chapter 16

Eric had come in twice to attend to Octavia's wound. She had gained consciousness the second the sun had set in, and was as furious as she was before we were caught. I sat at the same spot I had without saying a word, or closing my eyes. I wanted to see what kind of a man Kane was. The kind to come by and watch his catch after a long day of feast, or the kind to hide behind the people he had appointed to watch us for him.

Clearly, he was the latter.

But just as I was about to close my eyes for a second, I heard heavy footsteps approach the cell. I opened my eyes and saw one of the guards open the grill and walk in first.

"Raise your wrists," he said to me, pointing his deactivated electric rod at me. When I refused to comply, he switched it on, "Don't make me repeat myself,"

I rolled my eyes and raised my hands at him. He switched off his weapon and cuffed me. He picked me up on my feet and shoved me towards the grill. I glanced at Octavia confused.

"Where're you taking me," I asked the guard weakly when I saw Octavia attempt to come for my rescue.

"Just walk," he said after he gave me one last push.

I was too weak to retaliate. So I gave Octavia a soft smile and did as I was told. I walked out and was received by Bellamy and another guard. I tried to look away from him, but he grabbed my arm and we began to walk. The second guard led us through the hallway, and Bellamy stood beside me, holding me in his grip.

Suddenly, he softly whispered in my ear, "I'm sorry,"

"What," I asked startled at his words, but by that time, the second guard had grabbed me and taken me into another room. He took the cuffs off me and shoved me deeper into the room.

"What's going on?" I screamed out but my screams were ignored once he closed the door leaving me all by myself in the room.

I took a good look around and realized that I was in Kane's office.

Damn, it!

Through another door, Kane walked in. I took a step away from him path and watched him as he walked towards the other side of the room and stopped right in front of me. He slipped his hands into his pockets and stood tall.

"Have you eaten," he asked.

I clenched my jaw and glared at him.

He sighed tiredly and repeated his question.

I spat on to the floor.

Kane took in a deep breath and started walking towards me, "If you think for a second, that I'm scared of you-,"

"You should be," I said and he stopped in his tracks.

"Is that so," he asked.

"Don't patronize me, Kane," I scowled.

"It's Chancellor Kane to you," he said proudly.

"Oh," I raised an eyebrow mockingly, "Is father taken off the table now that I've committed treason against you?"

Kane stood silent.

"I'm guessing the Council doesn't know that you bastard a child almost eighteen years ago, now do they," I asked, feeling a hint of triumph coming my way, "I wonder how they'd feel knowing that their very own broke the law. Or is it just a sexist thing? The woman gave birth so she is at fault,"

"Your mother was-,"

"Don't talk to me about my mother," I interrupted him.

He sighed, lowered his head and stood silent for a while. I heard him gulp, and then he looked up at me, "I'm going to pardon you-,"