Chapter 18

The camp was filled with Grounders.

While the guards from Ark trained with their guns, the Grounders were battling each other to strengthen their combat skills. Kane circled around the guards, watching them as they trained. Across the training field, he glanced over towards the Trikru and watched as they battled each other.

"It's a beautiful sight, isn't it," I asked, making Kane turn around startled. He saw me, and sighed.

"What're you doing here," he asked, "Shouldn't you be with Clarke talking to Indra about Mount Weather,"

"Unlike you," I smiled mockingly, "We didn't need three whole days to get things done,"

Kane exhaled deeply and turned his attention towards the guards, "Then, I suggest you find something else to do to keep yourself busy,"

"Actually," I said, trying to sound serious, "I was hoping I could train."

Kane raised an eyebrow at me, "With the guards?"

I nodded, "I want to be part of the troop that goes into Mount Weather,"

Kane turned to face me, a slight hint of mockery in his tone, "And what makes you think I'm going to give you a loaded gun?"

"Do we really have to go there," I asked.

"Listen, Xavier," Kane sighed when he sensed the tone of threat in my voice, "I appreciate your dedication to help our people escape Mount Weather unharmed, but you need to stop with the threatening tone. It's not a very good look on you,"

"With all due respect," I said, "And I say it while it pains me to say it, I don't mean to threaten you at all. Honestly, I cannot be bothered about what happens to you. But they are my friends, and I will do whatever it takes to save them."

Kane stared at me, contemplating, and finally said as he turned towards the guards once again, "If you want to save your friends, find your own way. But you're not getting a gun."

I sighed frustrated and walked away. As I walked, I saw Octavia watching the Trikru train, her sword in her tight grip, and an intensity flaring through her eyes. I sat beside her and followed her gaze.

"What's got you looking like you want to murder someone," I asked.

"Indra refused to let me train with them," she replied.

"No offence, Octavia," I said, "But you don't exactly look like you can take on any of them."

"I know how to fight," she snapped and turned her gaze at me.

I met her gaze and shrugged, "I'm not saying you can't. I'm saying you took a bullet to your leg, and it's not advisable that you jump into a pit to fight these men."

She rolled her eyes and glanced down at her wounded leg, "If I can walk, I can fight,"

"And if you can't," I said, "You'll die."

Octavia rolled her eyes and glanced at me. I shrugged my shoulders and gave her an apologetic smile. She sighed, after realizing that perhaps I was right. She turned her gaze back to the Trikru.

"You know what the worst part about not being able to help is," she asked, her tone softening as if she was asking herself the question.

I sat silent, waiting for her to go on.

"It makes me feel like I'm worthless," she said, "It makes me feel like I'm only capable of just talking, and not acting on my words. If Kane hadn't shot me," her voice trailed off, "If Bellamy hadn't let him shoot me,"