Chapter 12

It turns out; the reason why the people in Mount Weather refused to leave this place was because they would die from the radiation outside these walls.

"Those who survived the radiation: Grounders," Monty explained, "Those who did but were getting the after-effects; confined in these halls,"

"So, how is it that we survived the radiation when we landed on Earth," I asked curiously.

"We were exposed to solar radiation from being in space," Clarke responded, "It made us compatible to live on Earth,"

We sat in our room, which was filled with bunk beds. Miller, Harper, Jasper, Monty, Clarke and I sat together on Harper's and Monty's bed discussing the why's and how's of living in Mount Weather.

I sighed, frustrated, "So, that's why they tested us. Kept us in confinement,"

"Until they were sure we weren't contaminated," Monty responded, "They had to make sure because if they came in contact with us, they'd be exposed to radiation and will very likely die."

I took in a deep breath and exhaled sharply, "So, why won't they let us leave, then,"

"My question, precisely," Clarke chimed in, "I don't like this one bit,"

"Where are we going to go," Jasper asked, slightly offended that no one was listening to him, "We have everything here. I mean, I don't think I want to leave this place at all."

Monty and the others agreed. I glanced at Clarke, and it was like we had a mental conversation.

She got up, nodding towards the door, and said to me, "Xavier, let's go for a walk,"

I watched her turn around and grab the booklet we were given. I glanced at Jasper and them, and after excusing myself, I followed Clarke. Reluctantly.

Once we were out of the room, Clarke turned around a corner and when she realized there was no one there, she opened the book to the map of Mount Weather and said, "Look at this. Tell me what do you see,"

I rolled my eyes, "A map,"

"A map," she said as she pointed at each slot, "that doesn't have any exits. I've been walking around this place since I got here. There's nothing on this map that shows where the exits are,"

"And I assume you know where the exits are," I asked.

She nodded, "There's plenty around here. But everything is locked and only accessible with a key card."

I glanced at her.

"What," she asked when I didn't say anything.

"I know someone who has a key card." I replied, "But I'm not sure if I'm the right person to get it from her since I almost killed her,"

"Maya," Clarke asked and I nodded, "We can't exactly ask her for the key card. We need to take it,"

"But how do we get out of here with the rest of them thinking this is paradise," I asked, slightly frustrated that they weren't being as cautious as Clarke and I.

She shook her head defeated, "I don't know. But we can escape. We can go find where the Ark landed and get our people to march on Mount Weather to get our friends back."

"Clarke," I sighed, "What is Dante is telling the truth? What if there are no survivors?"

"You don't understand," Clarke bit her lower lip, "I'm sure there are survivors. Xavier," she paused, and sadness filled her eyes, "My mother was on the Ark. I refuse to believe that she would have died,"