2. Wish that wasn't the case

Chapter 2: Wish that wasn't the case

Kelsey's POV

*****

It had been about a couple of hours since the Walkers left. Not long after, Ethan left to go and hang out with his friends, leaving me alone with the children. That was why I wanted to come up with something to do with them. They didn't know me and I didn't know them well enough either. I needed them to trust me because after all, I was the one who was responsible for them.

After a while of tearing apart my thoughts on what we could possibly do, an idea suddenly hit me.

"How do you guys feel about going to the arcade tonight?" I asked after I called all of them down.

Upon hearing the word 'arcade', Noah and Lara's faces instantly lit up. Ellie, on the other hand, looked quite disappointed.

"What is it? Don't you like the arcade?" I asked Ellie, kneeling down in front of her.

She quickly shook her head before speaking. "It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I always go to the arcade with Ethan, I don't want to go without him," she said, looking around in hopes to see him coming in through the door.

Hearing her say those words made my heart tighten at how much she loved her brother. The thought that he instantly went out with his friends instead of spending a little bit of time with them right after their parents left saddened and angered me. A brother should always be there for his siblings, and yet Ethan couldn't even stay half an hour alone with them.

I instantly shook the thought away and tried to come up with a way to convince Ethan to join us.

"Tell you what, how about I call him and you ask him if he wants to come with us? I'm sure he'll accept," I said, trying to sound optimistic.

I may have lied a little bit. I was not so sure that he would accept, but having sweet little Ellie ask him could have been a way to convince him.

She excitedly nodded her head and I quickly searched through my phone for his number. I didn't know why on earth I had ever decided to save his number, but at that moment, I was glad I did.

"Hi Ethie, it's Ellie. Kelsey wants to take us to the arcade tonight and I was really hoping that you could join us," Ellie said as soon as Ethan answered his phone.

"Really? Okay. Be home soon then."

Her smiling face fully lit up when she hung up the phone, handing it to me and giving me one of her huge smiles.

"He said he will be here soon so that he could join us."

The smiles on Lara and Noah's faces as soon as Ellie's words left her mouth did not go unnoticed. I was surprised at how easy it was for her to convince him, but I was glad that Ethan accepted to join us. Maybe it could have been a way for us to try and get along, considering that we were going to live together for about four months.

It made me happy to know that he was ready to drop what he was doing just to go out with his family, and it also made me think that maybe, just maybe, he cared about them much more than I initially thought. 

*****

My idea of going to the arcade was a very successful one. The kids and I bonded over games and I found out how sweet they all were.

I also found out how I was too quick in judging Ethan. Maybe he wasn't the nicest person when he was with me, but with his siblings he was a completely different person. The look on his face when he was around them was a lot different than the one I knew. He actually seemed happy, like there was nowhere else he would rather be.