56. Why does this always happen?

Chapter 56: Why does this always happen?

Ethan's POV

*****

"Walker, over here," my coach called after the team meeting ended, looking at me strictly.

I knew what he was going to tell me, and I wasn't proud of it. My game was off, and I hadn't been able to make one shot without failing. My coordination was off, and frankly, so was I.

"Yes coach?" I asked, wanting to sound as if I didn't know what he was going to be telling me.

He sighed before speaking, his stern eyes looking into mine. "What's going on Ethan, you were one of our best players last season, and now you can't even make one shot."

I nodded, not wanting to make any excuses to him. He was a loud person, and he didn't tolerate anybody lying to him. "Things haven't been easy lately. But I promise, I will do my best tonight," I said, trying to sound as reassuring as I could.

"I'm giving you another chance because I know how great you are," he said, placing his hand on my shoulder. "But play badly, and I will have to bench you," he warned.

"Yes, coach. Thank you coach. I will not let you down," I nodded, glad that he was putting his faith in me.

The honest reason as to why I have been playing badly was because my mind couldn't stop thinking about Kelsey, but I certainly could not tell coach that. How was I supposed to tell one of the strictest people I knew that I was playing badly because of a girl? No one even knew that Kelsey and I were together, we never got around to telling anybody other than Jake and Meg.

"Ethan," one of the cheerleader said, waving me over.

"Yes Bella?" I asked as I walked up to her.

"Don't listen to coach. You're amazing," she said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I rolled my eyes at her attempt to flirt with me, an attempt which already had failed many times before, and which were going to be failing even more now that Kelsey was in my life. Bella was certainly beautiful, and she was an amazing dancer, but she was nothing compared to the one I loved.

"Yeah, thanks," I said with a courteous nod before removing her hand off of me and turning around to walk away.

"Okay well, I'll see you tonight then," I heard her yell as I had nearly reached the door, making me shake my head at her desperation.

I had to admit, it was impressive that she wasn't afraid of trying to get what she wanted. Not many girls would ever have the guts to do that, and I found myself admiring that trait of hers. Despite that, I couldn't look at her in a romantic way. She was still not my Kelsey, nor would anybody ever be.

*****

"Jake, why do you keep turning me around every time I try to walk towards my locker?" I asked, starting to get slightly frustrated at him.

That day was already a very stressful one, and having my best friend redirect me every time I neared my locker was not helping to calm my nerves. He was acting strange, stranger than he normally did, and I wondered what was going through that hard head of his.

"I told you, you have a game tonight you have to rest your hands. I'll get your books for you," he said.

"Jake, books can't hurt me," I chuckled, shaking my head at his weird actions.

"You can never be too sure," he said before handing me the books I needed for my next couple of classes.

I looked at him with my lips slightly parted, unable to comprehend how on earth he got my books from my locker. Not even I knew what my timetable was yet, and the fact that he was able to get me the correct books for my upcoming subjects slightly freaked me out.

"When did you get these?" I asked.

"I came out of class before you," he shrugged, making me chuckle as I shook my head at him.

"Would you like to start carrying me to and from class on your back too?" I joked.

"Oh no," he said in all seriousness, vigorously shaking his head. "We are not doing that again."

I laughed at the memory of the time I broke my leg during basketball practice and had to use crutches for a couple of weeks. On one of the days, one of the guys from basketball decided that it would be funny to hide my crutches, leaving me unable to walk from one class to another. Jake, being the good friend he was, offered to carry me on his back to class, and even if I knew that it was a horrible idea, I had no other way to walk without my crutches, and leaning on Jake to walk was not going to work.

By the end of the day, I had managed to find my crutches, and Jake ended up in the hospital with a broken arm after having fallen forward with me on his back. He never let me live that day down, constantly reminding me that I owed him a lot more than one, especially because he had to miss homecoming because of me.

"Can we go outside for lunch today?" I asked as we walk towards the cafeteria, Jake still burning holes at me for laughing too hard at the memory of the incident.

"No!" He said too suddenly, his eyes growing wide.

"Why not? It's a beautiful day outside" I said, not understanding why he was acting so weird and jumpy.

"Nah, it's too hot," he nonchalantly said, pretending that he didn't just have a weird out burst only seconds before.

"Something's up with you today man," I said with a shake of the head as we walked towards a table.

"It's nothing. I promise."

"Whatever you say," I replied, still not entirely convinced, but deciding to let it go, knowing that if it were something important I would have been the first know.

As we sat down on our lunch table, I quickly took out my phone to check if I had any messages, the photo I had taken of Kelsey popping up as my lock screen. I smiled at the photo, which I had taken the day we were up in the tree house. She looked to gorgeous for me not to take a photo of her. I felt myself missing her even more as I unlocked my phone, a picture of Kelsey and I grinning at the camera showing up, one which we had taken a few days before she left for New York.

The thought of her upset me, especially knowing that I might never get to be with her, or hold her into my arms ever again. I needed her with me. She gave me strength, and she brought out the best in me. I didn't know how I was going to survive the game. I had to try and get her out of my head in order to play well, which was a thing I couldn't do.

Why does this always happen when you're in love?

A/N: So, in request to some of you that didn't want the book to end I decided to make it a bit longer then expected. Don't get too excited, what I mean is that I wrote this chapter then we will have the next chapter as the last one instead.

I wanted to give you guys some more time but I'm pretty sure that the next chapter will be the last one, apart from the bonus chapters that I will be writing.

I'm sorry if it was a bit short of a chapter, again it's a filler chapter to show you guys what exactly is going to happen in the next one, meaning Ethan and Kelsey will finally see each other again. Hope it didn't annoy you and that you enjoyed it anyways.

Also, it's a bit short because it's kind of late and I kind of want to spend some time with my parents, watching TV and stuff like that because I can't spend all of my time in front of the laptop, not noticing my family, that's not a great thing to do.

So yeah, hope you enjoyed and I'll see you guys next Monday.

Stay perfect,

Love,

~M