3. So much more than he thought

Chapter 3: So much more than he thought

Kelsey's POV

*****

In the movies, people are shown to wake up to the sound of birds chirping, the sun shining nicely from the window as the main character wakes up with a smile on her face, ready to start the day.

Instead, I woke up to the lovely sound of kids screaming at each other.

Yes, they were fighting.

I made my way downstairs to the living room to find Noah and Lara fighting over the remote, each trying to remove it from the grasp of the other.

"Let go it's mine, it's my turn to watch today!" Lara screamed while she pulled the remote towards her.

"You watched yesterday it's my turn today," Noah fought back pulling the remote towards him.

"Well Kelsey likes me better so she'll let me watch TV," Lara said sticking out her tongue at him.

They were already using me, how flattering.

I didn't know why they were even fighting. They both had their own TVs in their rooms. If I was lucky enough to have a TV in my room, I would probably never even get out of there. 

"Who said I like you better?" I asked, finally making my way towards them.

As they noticed me they let go of the remote and put it on the couch, looking down to the ground in shame.

"Why were you guys fighting over the remote at 8 in the morning when you could have easily watched in your rooms?" I said checking my watch for the time.

"We're sorry Kelsey but-" Noah started before Lara cut him off.

"But Noah started it. I was calmly watching TV looking all cute like always, because Ellie was watching the TV in my room first, and he came and stole the remote from me!" She said.

"That's not true we grabbed the remote at the same time!" Noah said starting their argument again.

"Guys enough!" I said grabbing their attention as soon as I realised that they were about to start screaming at each other again. "Don't you both have a TV in your own rooms?" I asked looking at Noah.

I was very disappointed in him. He was a fifteen year old guy fighting with his ten year old sister for the remote when he could have easily watched it in his room. I understood Lara's problem, having to share a TV with someone else, but Noah had no excuse. 

"Yeah, but this one is bigger and the picture is clearer," Noah responded, glaring at Lara.

I scoffed, my lips parting slightly in disbelief. I couldn't understand why they would even be fighting so early because of a TV with a clearer picture. 

"What are you, 5?! Ellie doesn't even react the way you two are acting right now. So here it goes, neither of you is getting to watch TV today, not even the ones in your rooms, how does that sound?" I said, earning groans from them.

I felt bad for having to be so hard on them in the first few days of my job, but if I learned anything from what I had often observed with regards to my dad was that you need to be tough sometimes if you want people to respect you. I could not let it slide and have them thinking that they could get away with anything just because I was nice to them. 

"It's not fair, what else am I supposed to do all day?" Lara said.

"Read a book or hang out with your friends, you have your own laptop and tablet. Use them. There's this thing called youtube," I said.