9. Sleepovers and confessions

Chapter 9: Sleepovers and confessions

Kelsey's POV

*****

As I opened the door for Meg at approximately 7:30 p.m., she didn't waste any time in greetings. She hurriedly entered the living room, holding a bag of chips and a bag of microwavable popcorn, setting everything on the living room table as if she owned the place.

I didn't even act like that, and I was practically living there.

It was normal of Meg to do that. Whenever I used to invite her over to my house, she always used to act as if she actually lived there. Since I was living in other people's house at the moment, however, I actually felt guilty that I was freely inviting my friends over.

The Walkers certainly weren't paying me to have sleepovers at their house, but I certainly couldn't go to Meg's house for the night and leave them there. They were my responsibility.

"I'll check on the kids quickly and then we can head to the guest room," I told her as we were going up the stairs, trying not to make excess noise in case any of the kids were sleeping.

The day at the beach really tired them out and I was in no way surprised to find that Ellie and Lara were both sleeping peacefully whilst Noah was on the verge of falling asleep.

"I'm sorry, I've been a terrible best friend today," I honestly told Meg, right after I closed the guest room door and sat down next to her on the bed.

All Meg wanted to do was look out for me and help me out, but all I did was push her away and I felt horrible for doing that.

"It's okay Kels, I get it. There are some things that you can't tell your best friend because not even you know what the heck is going on, it's what happens when things get complicated" She said smiling at me. "But as your best friend, I have the duty to always try and understand you."

I instantly hugged her. It felt really good to have someone who understands you and is always by your side, and I was glad I had Meg. She had been there for me ever since we were kids, never leaving my side. She was even there for me after I lost my mom. We were both kids at the time, and neither of us understood what was happening, but that didn't mean that she didn't try to make me forget about all the hardships when it most seemed impossible. According to my dad, my mom was really fond of her too, and sometimes, I felt as if she were my sister, and not simply my best friend.

"How did you know?" I asked her, shocked that she could even comprehend all of the messed up thoughts going through my head.

"It's what happens to everyone," she said with a slight shrug. "But that's why I'm here. We are going to figure it out together. I want you to tell me what's on your mind, even if you're not sure about it. Not only will you feel better, but it might also help you figure things out that you couldn't figure out before."

I nodded my head in agreement at her suggestion. I needed a bit of confession time with my best friend. Everyone does at some point.

She looked at me, giving me her utmost attention, waiting to listen to anything I had to tell her and ready try to understand and in that moment, I felt like the luckiest girl alive to have a friend like her in my life. 

I felt like deep down, we both knew that that was all I ever really wanted.

"I don't know where to begin though, everything is so confusing," I said, letting out a frustrated sigh before momentarily covering my face with a pillow.

"Ethan is making everything so hard. I don't think I like him like that. I mean, sure I like it when he helps me and when he makes random jokes. I like it when he acts really sweet with Noah and the girls, it makes me really happy to see him act like that, and he sure is quite attractive," I started off whilst aggressively munching on the potato crisps. "But I don't know if I like him like him, I mean he's Ethan Walker."

The same Ethan Walker who made me a laughing stock and never even apologised about it. 

Meg nodded, showing me that she understood everything that I was trying to say. "What about Aaron?" She asked, diminishing the excessive number of crisps I was currently holding in my hands, probably trying to keep me from choking.

"What about Aaron? We broke up, he never called or texted and I know that I didn't either, but you know me, I'm always afraid of messaging people and not getting a reply back. I get afraid of annoying them. Besides, Aaron and I had broken up, I didn't know if he was trying to forget about me. I really liked him once but I don't anymore. I shared some of the best moments of my life with him, but now all that is over," I said, suddenly feeling really frustrated that I couldn't even understand my own feelings. "And just because he's back for the summer doesn't mean he wants me back."

"I understand Kels. Feelings are like that, we don't always understand them at first, but I promise everything will be more clear later on," Meg said, putting her arm around me as if she had read my mind.

"Thank you for being here Megs," I said, leaning my head on her shoulder.

"What are besties for?" She said, sending me a cheeky grin. "But can I just say something?" She asked.

"Shoot."

I knew I initially said that I didn't want to hear her questions, but that was before knowing how good it felt to let it all out. I was never the one with boy problems before, it always had been Meg. That moment was my turn. 

"I happen to think that you and Ethan would look really cute together. I've known Eth for practically my whole life and he wasn't always this bad. A trouble maker, yes but he's not a bad guy Kels," she said. "I know you two had a rough past, but you're almost seventeen now. We're graduating this year," she said, taking both of my hands in hers.

As soon as she said that, a wave of sadness hit me at how fast we were growing up. One second I was this little girl, in my father's arms, and the next I was suddenly becoming a senior in high school, one step closer to graduating.

"Ethan and I?" I said raising an eyebrow at her, her actual question finally hitting me. "I mean, I don't want to be like those people that say 'it will never happen', because no one knows what will happen in the future, and there are a lot of things I like about him, but honestly, I don't know if I could ever consider dating a guy who is so confusing," I said, images of a lot of the conversations I had with Ethan flooding my mind. 

One minute we were working towards being friends, the next he asked me what would have been so wrong if we were together, and then getting jealous of my ex-boyfriend. Friends don't act like that. 

"Every single person in the world is confusing Kels, I mean, just look at you right now. You must be confusing yourself just as much as Ethan does," she replied, making me roll my eyes at her despite knowing that she was right.

"Do you want a soda?" I asked her, knowing how much she loves them. 

I also really wanted to change the conversation. 

She quickly nodded her head and sent me a smile. 

"I'll be right back," I said before I headed downstairs towards the kitchen.