chapter five

When school rolled around the next day, I was ready to recruit Ethel. She was the key to the lock that is Betty Cooper.

However there's one problem with her, she's obsessed with me. She's had this huge crush on me since grade school. And not that I don't like Ethel, I think she's a good friend. But romantically, she doesn't stand chance.

My blood type is blondes. One certain blonde in particular.

But that doesn't ever stop Ethel. Every week she brings some sort of baked good for me. I appreciate it, because it's food. What person wouldn't appreciate food? But it can get quite annoying when it happens all the time.

But she was the only person I knew who would do everything I said. And she could dish the dirt on Betty, and for free too.

But let's just hope she doesn't take this the wrong direction. I really don't want her to think I'm leading her on. I would hate to be like Archie.

But I knew recruiting Ethel would be the easiest plan I would ever have to get solve the Betty mystery. Plus she hasn't baked me anything this week, which meant today was the time.

And I was right. When I reached my locker, there Ethel was, holding one of those plastic containers.

It was the perfect chance.

As I approached my locker, I noticed Ethel pretending not to be waiting for me at my locker. Also I noticed her lack eye contact. Two typical Ethel things.

Once I reached my locker, Ethel suddenly noticed me. She walked up to me, holding the container tighter than before.

Here comes the weekly annoyance.

"Hello Juggie." Ethel said, peering over my shoulder.

"Oh hi Ethel." my sarcastic voice responded. I turned around to face her.

She placed the container of treats in my hands. "I brought you some chocolate chip cookies, homemade."

"Gee thanks." I said sarcastically. "Totally didn't expect this."

Ethel flashed her smile, and batted her brown eyes. "There's that dry, sarcastic humor I adore."

I pushed out a fake laugh. "So Ethel there's something I need to ask you."

Her eyes became really wide. "Continue." she said as her eyes batted.

I think saying that really did lead her on. I was screwed. But I could cover this one.

"So you know Betty Cooper right?" I asked her.

Ethel rolled her eyes as she groaned in frustration. "The one who you chase around like a dog? Yes I'm aware that boyfriend stealing pig."

"Not your boyfriend, but anyways," I began. "She's been acting strange lately and I'm getting concerned."

"Maybe it's a good thing." Ethel pointed out. "It's showing you that's when it the one for you, and maybe you should chase after someone else. I happen to know an attractive red head."

I give Ethel a glare. I hate it when she turns this into stuff about how I should pick her.

But love makes you do crazy things. Even if you have to deal with an idiot.

"Not gonna happen." I reply. "But I do need some to dish some sort on Betty."

Ethel's smile faded. "But I'm not like that, if you need someone to dish dirt, ask Cheryl."

"I can't stand Cheryl." I complained.

"You can't stand me either."

"Just say you'll do it." I pled. "It's for Betty and she important to me."

Ethel's face turned into thought. This made me nervous. When Ethel thinks, it's a bit crazy. No more like extremely crazy.

"Okay, I will do it." Ethel said. "On one term."

I gulped. I had a gut feeling on where this was going. And trust me it wasn't pretty. But I trusted my gut more than anyone in this gloomy town. It's a blessing and a curse.

"Oh please don't tell me..." I said.

"It's part of the deal." Ethel cut me off. "You want me to help you?"

"Yes but..."

"Then if you want help," Ethel cut me off again. "One date, and then I'll help you with that brown-noser."

I sighed in frustration. "Fine, one date. But I will one thing clear. I won't be your boyfriend and we will remain JUST FRIENDS. Deal?"

"Deal." Ethel smiled, ear to ear. "Glad to know you're on my side. Pick me up around 8 and DONT FORGET THE FLOWERS!"

Oh great I thought to myself. What the hell did I just do.

I would have gone on one date with any other girl. Veronica, Cheryl, Ginger or anyone else besides her.

But if this was what I had to do, I had to do it. It will suck, but it's not for me. It all for Betty, and for Betty I will do almost anything. Besides Ethel may not make this that bad.

But I mean how bad could one date possibly be?