chapter twenty

"this is the case of polly cooper, the possible killer of jason blossom." the marshal said.

i sat, anxious on one of the courtroom's benches, as today was the day, polly's trial. the court session hadn't even started, but things were already going south.

betty, as expected, was an emotional mess. archie was there as a witness for polly, but he wasn't comforting entry like most who expect he would. perfect example of a typical archie move.

now i would have gone back to help out, but before the trial had began betty asked for me to stay with polly. and polly was the most emotionally messed up out of us all. i tried to comfort her, but none of it worked. i looked like a real archie.

and no one needs a second one.

cheryl and her witnesses sat on the other side of the court, ready to kill. i wish i could say it wasn't the slightest bit intimidating, but that would be a fib. more than a fib, beyond the sin point of a fib.

"the trial is in session." the judge said. he slammed his gavel against his stand.

"first we ask a main witness to step forward, cheryl blossom." the marshal said.

"may i your honor?" cheryl said. as the marshal nodded cheryl approached the stand. the marshal lifted out a bible and put cheryl's left hand on it. she rose her right hand.

"do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothin-" the marshal said before being interrupted.

"oh hush up, young man." cheryl said. "i swear, now can we get on with the trial?"

the marshal stepped back leaving cheryl to the stand alone. my heart beat increased as she stood alone. it was time for questions to be asked, and cheryl to tell nothing but lies.

"it has been stated your brother dated polly cooper, is this not true?" asked the marshal.

"it is true, your honor." cheryl stated. "i didn't know much about it, but from what i am aware it was not a good relationship."

"and how so miss blossom?" the marshal continued. "what made you come to this conclusion?"

"well when i wasn't focusing on important stuff such as myself," cheryl said. "i listened in on jason and polly's through the door. they would curse at each other, and fight and-"

"objection!"

polly stood up from the bench. we all looked at her as she rose. it was a bit shocking to see her do this, but it stroke some relief. maybe this would teach cheryl a lesson.

"me and jason only swore at each other one time and that was because..." polly said before freezing.

i watched as she froze, i knew why. it's appeared as if cheryl didn't know about the baby, and she was about to. that was if polly spoke her mind, which at this point it didn't look to good.

after standing there for nearly a minute, she looked back at betty, then down to me. i nodded, to let her know now was the time.

time for the world to know the truth.

"we got into a fight because," polly pulled away the long cardigan to show her big belly. "i'm pregnant with jason's baby."

it became so quiet you could hear a pen drop. no one could believe polly had just confessed about her pregnancy. but the most shocking reaction was definitely cheryl's.

for the first time in my many years of knowing her i saw tears burst from her eyes. usually these types of announcements spark happiness or shock, but not for a blossom. especially when it was the only person she loved more than herself's' baby.

"wait you're pregnant? and you or jason didn't tell me?" cheryl asked. "i thought betty was pregnant."

"we all did at first," i said as i rose from the bench. "but after some digging, we found out the truth. and now it's time for everyone to know."

betty stood up as well. "i had all those things for polly. i only did it to protect her from getting an abortion."

cheryl walked away from the stand and walked up to polly. the two girls hugged, and cried. it was emotional but touching. to see a blossom and a cooper happy together was a true delight. also a bit concerning, but that's probably just my gut spreading a false rumor.

court ended early that day, and for good reasons. polly had been voted not guilty, not by the judge, by cheryl herself. and the two girls were happy, for the first time together. it gave me a little hope for this town.

and in those moments riverdale felt joyful again, like it did in old times. it had the child factor once more, and for once, i didn't want to leave the town. and that was the start of an amazing afternoon.

but only an afternoon.

after court i had offered to walk betty home. i needed to be there for her more than anything right now. thought it was a joyful time, it was still a tough morning.

"wow i can't believe what all happened in there." i told betty. "it was great for not just polly, but for you."

betty nodded. "things are starting to look up."

"all thanks to you." i said.

"no," betty said. "all thanks to you. i dunno what i would have done without your help. you are the true superhero jug, the truest one i may ever know."

i blushed at her words. it meant a lot she appreciated my support. it really showed maybe dark people can be angelic at points. expect maybe if you're a certain ginger judas. but the tale of that is for some other time.

"hey betty." i said stopping on the sidewalk.

she turned around, her ponytail nearly squatting my face. "yeah jug?"

that's when i froze, just like polly had done at court before confessing. i had something i wanted to confess, and now that the opportunity presented itself, i had froze.

"jug?" betty asked.

"oh yeah." i said. "i just wanted to say... that the umm.." i paused and looked at the grass. "you should mow my lawn sometime."

betty rolled her eyes. "jug, just tell me what's on your mind. i know it's not mowing lawns."

we two stood facing each other. the moment was just right, nothing could ruin it. i just had to man up and do it. so without fail, i moved my lips close until they touched hers.

after a few seconds i pulled away. it had felt so right to finally kiss her. it had taken everything within me to do to, and now it had been done.
and by betty's smile, i could tell she'd wanted this just as much as me.

"wow." i said. "that was..."

"amazing." betty interrupted. "i didn't know the woman hater would ever kiss a girl let alone me."

"i must hate surprises because i'm full of them." i said.

this moment would be something i'd cherish for a long time after. but the moment wasn't all perfect, it of course had to be ruined by something.

beep.

betty whipped out her phone looking down. "i got to go, mom wants me to help her with something." before betty took of she placed a peck on my cheek. "see you tomorrow at school?"

"see you tomorrow."

i watched as she walked away, feeling such of pride. it was a happy afternoon for me.

but only a happy afternoon.