chapter seventeen

"Juggie?" a voice asked me.

I rub my eyes awake. I look up at a ceiling, one that doesn't belong to the closet at school. Along with the unknown ceiling, my eyes also spotted an almost fully yellow wallpaper, with small flowers covering it. I knew those walls anywhere.

I must have crashed at Betty's house.

As I sit up from the floor, I realize how true that statement was. For the blonde beauty was sitting just before me eyes. She wasn't the Betty I usually saw. I saw yet the raw, deep version I liked just the same.

I liked the makeup free version better. As well as the messy ponytail. Why couldn't Betty be like this more often?

"Jughead, what the hell are you doing here?" Betty asks straightforward.

I look up at her dry eyes. I shrug, as me myself don't know why I am truly here. It was never really my plan to crash in Betty's room. I mean just picture how Betty's parents would react. Even my dad, who's a mess, would mind just the slightest bit.

"I honestly don't know." I told. "Must have crashed after bringing you home last night."

Betty's left eyebrow goes up. "You brought me home? Explain."

I nodded. "Cheryl got you really drunk, and by the time you passed out the baby shower was over so I carried you home."

Betty's eyes got wide. "Like in your arms?"

"Yeah."

"How romantic of you." she teased.

I wanted to tell Betty everything but I figured lying would protect her happiness. Just from the way she was acting I could tell she was hungover. And I think hungover Betty doesn't need to know about last night. Or at least to its fullest potential.

But she can keep up the flirting. That's something I want a taste of before it never happens again.

"Juggie," she goes on. "Veronica could have let me stay over that night."

"It was the better idea." I said.

"Anything else happen?" Betty eagerly asked.

That's when my heart had a panic attack. Do I tell her everything? I mean she doesn't need to know if Cheryl knows about Polly. Or that the baby shower was a nightmare. Or that I told her I loved her.

Yeah definitely don't need to know that last one.

"Nope." I lied. "But there is one thing we should do."

Betty's curiosity sprouted. "Go on?"

"We need to talk to Polly." I tell her.

Betty's face goes paler. I could tell that idea wasn't the one she was expecting. And from her vibe, she wasn't too pleased about this idea. Can I blame her, no.

"Is it a bit too soon?" Betty asked.

"Well how can we help her if we never see her?" I asked. "Look I just need a couple questions answered."

"Ask me!" Betty begged. "Just leave Polly out of it."

"Polly is the only one who can answer them." I responded.

That's when I saw the thoughts zooming through Betty's brain. It was clear she wasn't just gonna stick with a no. My idea had a chance of being a yes.

Boy did I feel nervous. Like anyone auditioning for Simon Cowell, it was a risky time period.

But finally Betty said something, something that was a game changer.

"Okay fine."

Never had I ever felt so much joy hearing such simple words. I stood up and gave Betty a big bear hug. I didn't even think about what I was doing, that's how excited I was.

But I realized what I have done. I pulled away, only to see her smiling back.

Did I do something right.

"Okay moving along." I said. "Let's go see Polly."