chapter eight

The next week of my life was pure torture. I couldn't forget it no matter how hard I tried, and there was serval reminders.

First was the deep black bruise around my eye. That guy hit me so hard, it had been this way since that night. It haven't really healed, which didn't help anything.

Not only that, but I haven't eaten since that night. That was a big thing for me, because food is my second love, after Betty. I tried to eat a energy bar I shocked away, but my body just wouldn't keep it down.

Also Betty hadn't been responding to my texts. That meant she must have been really mad at me, another reason to get mad at myself.

I just wasn't the Jughead I knew.

I needed a break from it all. So I had been skipping school for the past week, avoiding all my problems. I thought that by then another flood of drama would come in, washing mine away.

So, that next Friday morning, I convinced myself I had to return to school. I couldn't avoid my problems forever.

Instead of taking a bus, I walked to school in the pouring rain, no umbrella. I figured there's no use avoiding gloomy weather, it couldn't make me any more gloomy.

I just hate the rain.

But I still made it to the jail, otherwise known as Riverdale High. I was soaked but why would I care? It's not like I had anything or anyone to care about there anyways.

As soon as I entered the building, people shoot looks at me. There were people whispering, people avoiding eye contact and even some chuckles. Great, looks like the flood was just a warning. Not like that wasn't a possible exception.

The first person I wanted to see was Betty. I decided maybe I should apologize in person to fix this.

But when I found her, she was with Archie, and wearing a dress? Betty never wears a dress, in fact I didn't know she owned more than one of them. It looked gorgeous on her, even more if she wasn't talking to Archie.

I hid behind one of the lockers, listening in on the conversation. I had to know.

"Arch, what do I do?" Betty asked. "If he finds out I'll be toast."

"Just continue to avoid him." Archie told her. "He will give up eventually. He can't keep tracking down all your secrets."

I had a feeling this conversation was about someone I knew, knew better than anyone else. It had to be me, it had to be. I would have kept listening if I was interrupted.

"Juggie!" I heard a girl voice say.

I turned around it was Ethel, and she was holding another plastic container.

God when does she have time to cook all of these sweets?

"Oh hey Ethel." I said, sadly. "Look I'm sorry about the thing at Pops..."

Ethel smiled. "Don't worry about it. I wasn't being much of a help, I should have been nicer."

Her sweetness confused me. Why all of a sudden is she being nice to me? I mean last  Friday was a mess, how could she possibly not be mad at me?

"Wait, you're not mad?" I curiously asked.

Ethel shook her head. "Not at all. I understand."

I was touched by Ethel's sudden change of heart. I couldn't believe that she wasn't mad, I expected her to be just as mad as Betty was. Something must be off about that.

"So, what's the weekly treat this time?" I asked.

Ethel smirked. "Actually it's not a sweet. But I think you'll like it more." She handed me the container and began to turn away. "Good luck."

I quickly walked into the abandoned closet, I needed a private place to see what this was. I didn't want anyone else to know, this would be a secret between me and Ethel.

The first thing that was in the container was a note. I picked it up and read it first.

Dear Jughead,

Look I know Friday was rough, but I do appreciate you willing to go out with me on a "date". I know I said it had to be perfect, and I'm sorry. I thought everything was fine, but I realized I was being sort of bitchy. So to make it up to you, I brought you some evidence on Betty. The pictures are on the flash drive taped to the box of the container. What I found was shocking, but it hopefully will lead you to some answers. Sending you all positive vibes Juggie

Good Luck,
Ethel Muggs

I'll admit, I was bit shocked at Ethel's kindness. She'd never done something this sweet for me before. Maybe there's hope for a possible friendship between us.

But more importantly I got what I needed, evidence. Once I could find a computer I will look at these picture and get an answer.

The mystery of Betty Cooper will be solved after all.