chapter thirteen

I sat in a wooden chair as the rest of the gang hung up the decorations for Betty's baby shower. I have to say, I'm little shocked at who actually decided to come.

I mean we knew that people like Veronica and Kevin were gonna help out. And Cheryl as of last weekend. But somehow Veronica got people on the football team to help, like Reggie. I'm sorry but Reggie helps no one, there has to be some sort of reason he just agreed to do this. It makes me want to know more.

But on second thought, I'd rather not. I mean we are talking about Veronica and Reggie. Those two together, there's not telling what could happen. Anything is possible.

Only person from the gang who didn't show up was Archie. I mean it very shocking, he's always been Betty's best friend.He would do anything for her, expect date her.

Something must be up about that.

But regardless of weather he was here, things were going much better. Especially after last weekend. I mean no one was dead or hurt, as of now. Everyone actually seemed to get along, pretty rare for the new Riverdale.

But I guess we all knew this day wasn't about us. I mean it's about the beautiful baby, the beautiful blonde will someday bring he or she into the world.

Whatever makes her happy, makes me even happier. Maybe learning about her pregnancy wasn't an ideal point in this past couple of weeks, but it's her choice. I'm just glad she's still my friend.

Just my good o'l pal, Betty.

"Guys!" Veronica said holding up her phone. "Betty's just arrived at the building. She'll be coming in here any minute!"

Everyone in the room begins shatter the room to hiding spots. Everyone's is pretty okay, expect for Dilton Doiley. He hid behind one a bunch of balloons. While he's pretty skinny, he's nit skinny enough to not be seen behind them. Close second, but not quite.

Smart thinking Dilton.

After a couple minutes of waiting, we hear the door knob turn. It has be Betty, it just has to be. My heart starts running a marathon.

Here goes all the planning.

The light switch on, as the sound of heels walk away from the door. "V?"

"SURPRISE!" everyone shouts as the jump into the air.

Betty becomes speechless, nearly in tears. I'd never seen her this happy before. But yet something was giving me a fishy vibe. Something was bound to happen. If you haven't noticed, Riverdale doesn't know the word normal.

"Why, thank you so much for the party." Betty said. "But my birthday isn't for another 6 months."

Veronica laughed. "Well this isn't a birthday party. Obviously it's baby themed, does that not give anything away?"

"No..." Betty said. "Speaking of which, why did you go with a baby theme?"

Reggie busts in through the crowd to Betty. "It's because baby you're so fine."

Betty pushes him away, I don't blame her. Somehow Reggie just knows when it's a good moment to crack a joke. Or in this case bad pick up lines. He does know quite a few, a lot of clever ones too.

I wonder how he keeps all the in his mind.

"Seriously?" Veronica says frustrated. "The baby...?"

Betty laughed at what Veronica said. "What baby?"

Everyone in the room gasps. After it becomes quiet, so quiet you could hear the faint breathing of others. And I'm not surprised, what Betty said shocked us all. We were all convinced she was pregnant.

"Wait a minute." Betty says. "Y'all thought I was pregnant?" Betty stops to look at her stomach. She pulls the very little fat from it. "I haven't really gotten that fat have I?"

I walk over to her. I run my hand down her left arm."Betty you're perfect just the way you are. Even if you were fat, which you're not."

Betty blushes a dark pink. Maybe I was getting somewhere with Betty. Have I just been blind this entire time?

Veronica butts in tow to stop it our little moment. "Are you done love train?" She pulls me away, so she can talk to Betty. "So are you or are you not pregnant?"

"No, I am not." Betty says.

The room becomes quiet again. I should have never assumed she was pregnant. I mean some clues led to it, but overall maybe I was misleading myself.

I look across the room to Ethel, who was looking down on her blue sweater. I feel bad, especially since the gang knows it was Ethel who took them. I just hope she won't get blamed, she doesn't deserve it. I was the one who got everyone else involved in this mess.

I walk back up to Betty. "A word outside please?"

I take her small hand, and led to the outside hallway. I need answers, just in front of the gang. And privacy is always key to finding stuff out. I learned that from all the murder mystery shows on TV.

"Betty what's going on?" I ask right away. "I know you're finding something."

Betty sighs. "Fine. Maybe I've been hiding something, but if I tell you can't tell anyone."

"I won't." I say back. "I just need to know something."

"Okay?" Betty replies.

"Are you helping someone that's pregnant?"

Betty sighs in defeat. "Yes."

"Who?"

"Polly."