chapter ten

That next Monday, I needed to find Archie and Veronica as soon as possible. I knew that it wouldn't be hard. I mean the two might as well be handcuffed together.

Makes me wonder if something else if going on between them.

But that's a dumb little romance I don't have time to get involved on. The only reason I was gonna deal with it, was strictly for Betty. They were just sort of that extra stepping stone in the pond. Although most ponds wouldn't have an overflow.

I found the two talking to each other at Archie's locker. No surprise there. It's pretty typical nowadays. So I walked in and joined in their lame conversation.

"Hello, Archie," I payed for a second turning towards Veronica. My fake smile faded into a subtle frown. "Veronica."

I can feel the angry tension build up in Veronica as she turns towards me. "Oh hey, Jughead."

I always have known Veronica didn't like me. It's been obvious since she came to Riverdale. But I never seen her be this cold blooded. Someone should really break the ice in her system.

At least I knew the feeling was mutual.

Ignoring Veronica, I continued. "Look I need to talk to you guys about something."

"But why would you come to us?" Archie asked. "You throw so much shade at us, that the sun is not even in proportion."

"Well..." I begin. "There's something I'm sort of curious a-" The bell for first period cuts me off. "Lunch?"

They nod. I walk away with a small grin on my face. Still endgame.

I anxiously awaited lunch. I mean waiting all weekend as bad enough, now that it was almost time, my heart beat like a drum in a marching band. There was no way in hell I was gonna wait this long.

However, I did wait. And finally after what seemed like an entire lifetime, lunch period began. I was so excited, I could have done one of those jumps they do I high school musical. But Jughead Jones plays it cool.

And apparently loves to narrate himself in the 3rd person.

I found Veronica and Archie sitting same table I'd sat weeks ago. I could see that picture pop into my head. As the beautiful blonde, and the raven haired girl made peaceful conversationZ If only I knew Betty's weird actions would lead me back to where it began.

Archie notices me first. "Hey Jug, grab a seat."

I sat down on the other side of the couple. I took a deep breath and tamed myself a little.

Here goes nothing.

"Ronnie," I say. "Remember when I asked why Betty was acting weird about three weeks ago?"

She looks up from her grilled cheese sandwich. "Okay, what about it, Sherlock Holmes?"

"Well," I say. "I think I found out why."

I reached into my backpack, to grab the pictures Ethel took. This weekend, I spent some extra cash and printed them out. Hopefully that would be enough.

I hand the three picture over to Veronica. "Take a look."

Veronica grabs the photos and eyes each one carefully. By the look her face I can she sees the strange I had been seeing. However Archie looked over and he acted suspicious. Almost too suspicious, like he was playing it off to pretend he didn't know something.

Too Sherlock Holmes?

"Wow." Ronnie finally answers. "I can't believe Betty is pregnant and she didn't tell me."

I nodded. "See maybe I'm not so crazy."

"Yeah," Veronica says. "There's one thing we have to do."

Archie gives Veronica a cold look. "Are you sure you're gonna believe Jug? He's not all that much of a trusting figure."

And I'm the one who throws all the shade.

I ignore Archie comment and focus on Veronica's. "And that is...?"

"Throw a baby shower!" she answers. "It's all the rage in New York." I gave her a confused look. "What? Do you people not know what a baby shower is?"

"It's a a shower for babies." I sarcastically said.

A baby shower? Are you kidding me? Baby showers aren't my thing. There was no way I was getting myself involved in that.

"How about no?" I said breaking Veronica's tension.

"Oh c'mon." Veronica begged. "Please. Betty will love us forever. We could play games, get a cake, even I can convince the Pussycats to play a gig there. Arch you in?"

Archie stood up. "Leave me out of this."

He walked away, but I still had to think. Veronica was paying full attention to my every move at this point. I had to say yes.

"Jughead?"

"Fine." I said, stirring the straw in my milk carton.

Veronica smiled. "Great! All you'll need to do is help Cheryl with decorations."

I spit out the milk into the grass. "Wait what?"

"You don't think I'm letting you do nothing, do you? You can help Cheryl as soon as I can get her to agree." Veronica explained.

I groaned. If there was person I hated the most in all of Riverdale it was Cheryl Blossom. She was by far the most annoying girl I'd ever met, especially when that girl is shopping.

Why am I letting Veronica do this?