Prologue: New Reign

An old-looking man was lying on the bed. He looked like he was sleeping, but his chest didn't rise and fall. His face was like a mask with no emotions. The man, Spades' King, Aedan Jones the Third, had died in sickness. The sickness had slowly eaten away his internal organs, until he couldn't eat or breathe. There wasn't a cure for this illness, and it was extremely painful. Some nights, the King would wake up screaming in pain. Only his Queen, Theresa, could calm him down. Now, he rested in peace, leaving his temporal worries behind.

Next to the bed a woman stood, her expression sad and tired. The Queen, Theresa, had ruled with Aedan over 20 years. She had known that this day had to come someday, but she didn't expect it to be so soon. Theresa sighed.

"Rest in peace, my love." She whispered and turned to face his son, Alfred. Streams of tears were visible on his cheeks.

"My son..." Theresa said, her voice filled with worry.

"I'm alright, mother." Alfred said, hiding his face and turning his back to his mother and his father's cold body. He walked to the balcony and watched the sunset. In any other day, sunset would look beautiful and pure, but now... It was just a reminder that old day had ended and a new day is coming. A new day with his new duties.

"Alfred, my son, I have to tell you something important."
"What is it, father?"
"You know, someday I'll be gone and you have to rule the kingdom."
"I don't want you to die!"
"I won't die yet, Alfred. Now, what I was saying...? Ah, when I'm gone, you have to find yourself a Queen and a Jack. A Queen can be male or female. He or she is usually a human, who possess a skill called magic. They can cast spells and curses."
"Really? I have never met a wizard! Or witch." Alfred smirked.
Aedan chuckled. "Your mother is a witch, my son."
"Ooh! Really?"
"Yes. And now, if I can continue, you have to find a Jack, too. Jack is the wisest man or woman in our Kingdom and his or hers most important duty is to protect King and Queen." Alfred yawned.
"Ah, somebody is tired." Aedan laughed and patted his son's shoulder.
"I'm not tired, father!"

Alfred recalled his conversation with his father. At that time he was so young and innocent... And now his destiny was to be a King. Alfred smiled sadly at the memory.

He heard steps and Alfred turned to face Theresa.

"I know what I have to do." Alfred said, looking determined.

"Let's find my future Queen and Jack."

A/N: This is my first English story, so there might be some grammar mistakes. Anyways, what do you think? (^^)

(Congratulations! You have read 479 words.)