Chapter 12: Memory

Alfred's POV

I dodged Arthur's attack and attacked. Claymore's blade cut his hand, but he didn't even flinch. Instead, he tried to hit me, but then stopped his rapier in front of my chest. Soldiers, who were watching us, clapped.

"Surrender." Arthur demanded.

"Did you forget I have still my claymore?" I smirked and lifted my sword to attack -

"Your Majesties!" Someone yelled. We turned to look, who was yelling. It was Yao.

"Did you forget you have to meet some of the merchants?" Yao asked. He was clearly annoyed.

"Relax, Yao. They know we are the King and Queen, so they can't force us to do something." I said. Arthur glanced me, before putting his sword in sheath, which was fastened to his belt. I did the same.

"That is true, your Highness, but you have to understand, that you have to be a responsible King, not a child."

"Jeez, I know that already." I walked out of the yard with Arthur following me.

The day was cool, but beautiful. As we walked, a royal gardener walked past us. He bowed quickly, before walking towards the rose garden.

"Alfred." Arthur said.

"What?"

"I... Wonder why Clubs haven't attacked yet. The troops are getting more exhausted as each day passes, and it costs."

"Yeah... I know. But we have to be ready. And we can't even attack in Clubs!" I replied.

We walked inside the castle and upstairs, until Arthur stopped in front of his chambers.

"I shall go to my chambers." He said and turned.

"No." I said. "You can come with me."

"What? You can't possible mean that I'll come with you. The Queen has never -"

"But I'm the King, right? Let's break the taboos." I smiled and walked to my office, where I haven't been since my dad died. I opened the door and abruptly stopped.

"Father!" Aedan sat on his chair and wrote. He lifted his head when he saw me.

"Ah, my son. Are you bored again?"

"Yes!" I walked next to him. "Mother is just sitting in a rose garden and she won't play with me, so I got this awesome idea!"

"What is it?" Aedan finished his writing and stood up. He looked out of the big window, which was behind his mahogany writing desk. He chuckled.

"I'm afraid that I can't play with you." When he saw my disappointed look, he added: "Why don't you go and find your brother?"

"That's a good idea, father! I'll go find him right away!" I ran out of the office, smiling.

I used to always play in this office with or without Matthew and occasionally, father joined us.

"Your Majesty? Are you all right?" A low voice asked. I blinked.

"Yes." I walked behind the writing desk and sat down. Arthur followed me, but didn't sit down.

Merchants' chairs were in front of my desk, and both were sitting. When I walked past them, they stood up and bowed. They sat down, like they wouldn't want to honor their King any longer.

Chubbier merchant had big moustaches, dark clothes and a black top hat. Slimmer man had a sly look, small eyes and worn out brown clothes.

"Your Majesty, what is this? You know Queen cannot participate in financial problems." Moustache man asked and glared Arthur. Arthur glared him back.

"Our King allowed me to come." He replied coldly.

"Ah, but shall we start? And my name's Andrew Blackmount." Slimmer man said. "And my companion's name is Wilbert Tallwood, and he's one of the court secretaries." Andrew's voice sounded like mouse's voice.

Wilbert huffed. "We are here to talk about the war." I sighed. Everything is always about war.

"Well, as your Majesty knows, Clubs haven't attacked yet, although they declared a war on us two months ago. Army and navy are in readiness state, and economy is bad, because we only have Hearts trade with us. And we have heard -" Andrew told.

" - That Diamonds and Clubs are in state of war." Wilbert interrupted him.

"Diamonds too? I thought King of Diamonds didn't mean it." I said, surprised. Arthur shaked his head, lookind disappointed. Wilbert only laughed shortly.

"May I give you an advice?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Well, whatever the other Kings say, they always mean it. So, be careful next time what you say in front of them."

"I will." I replied. Maybe these merchants weren't so bad as my father said...

"And may I give you another advice?" Andrew noted.

I nodded again.

"Don't trust anyone. Not in this court, not in another kingdoms. Don't even trust us." He said, acting honest. Arthur huffed next to me.

"Well, are there other matters we must discuss?" I asked.

"There is one -"

Suddenly, Arthur gasped and blinked.

"Excuse me." He said and hurried out of the room. I watched after him apprehensively. Was he sick? He surely wasn't, he would have told me. Or maybe it's just the magic things. Well, I'll find him after this and ask.

"Your Majesty?"

"Yes?" I said absently. Stop. Thinking. About. Him.

"You spaced out. Is somet -" For the third time today, Andrew was interrupted. The person who opened the door, wasn't Arthur - Stop! - but Yao, who was slightly panting from the run.

"Has something happened?" I stood up. Andrew and Wilbert stood up too, maybe following my example or just to honor the Jack.

"Shall I tell the good or bad news first?" Yao asked.

"Good news." I replied quickly.

"Good news: Clubs have drew the statement of neutrality. Bad news: city of Nine of Spades has been conquered by Diamonds." There was panicky look on his eyes.

"Shit." I said.

Damn. Nearly thousand words in this chapter.

And I like writing Alfred's memories of his childhood. ^-^ There may be more of them in future chapters. <{}>