Chapter 32: Protest

Alfred's POV

I woke up with a startle. I stayed on my place, before I heard a gentle knock from the door.

"Come in." I muttered, before hiding under the blankets like a child. The door opened and I heard steps coming towards me.

"Your Majesty, you were awake already?" Mike, my personal servant, asked, probably surprised. Usually I didn't wake up before he came, and when he woke me up, it took about ten minutes to get out of the bed, another ten minutes to get dressed, and five minutes to brush my teeth and do another important things. Mike had been my personal servant since I was a child, so he knew how to get me going on mornings.

"Mm-hm." I mumbled, before asking with a weary tone: "Do I have a busy day today?"

"Hmm... The breakfast will be served at nine, lunch at twelve and dinner at five. There is a possibility to eat a snack, too, and a supper, as you know, Alfred. You have a meeting with the nobles at two in the afternoon. It ends at six."

I groaned. Luckily I had few hours before the meeting started. Then, an idea struck my head. I wouldn't have to spend my time on the castle of bad and good memories, but I could go to city. I smirked, got out of the bed and took my clothes from the closet. Mike gasped, looking surprised and quite shocked; I wasn't usually like this.

"A-alfred?" He asked. I dressed to the most ordinary clothes I could find, though they didn't look really common. I went to brush my teeth, and soon I was ready.

When I opened the door of my chambers, I glanced at Mike. The poor servant looked dumbfounded, and he hadn't moved. 

"Dude, wake up. I'll be going." I closed the door, heading towards the dining room.

-----------

People were talking to each other in the square, and the salesmen shouting and selling their products. Some were traveling to work, some to school.

"Sir! Would you like this?" One of the salesmen stuffed his product in front of my face.

"N-no, thanks, dude." Salesman huffed, before going back to bother others. Someone screamed, and I startled.

"Get your filthy hands off of me, pervert!" A girl screamed and hit a man with a bag in front of me. The man said something, rubbing his head. The girl huffed, before walking away. I chuckled, before walking to the main street. A protestor, though, caught my attention.

"Down with the monarchy!" A man yelled, waving a sign. Many people turned to watch, some smiling, some cheering, and the rest of the people ignored it.

"Down with the monarchy!" A young boy shouted and fist-bumbed in the air. Slowly, everyone began chanting that mantra, until the man holding the sign fell on the ground, clutching his chest. An arrow had immersed itself in man's chest. About five or six soldiers had come, in attempt to stop this. Some turned to look away, and some were crying. Apparently the citizens knew each other well. Men looked furious, but didn't do anything. Soon, the man was motionless on the ground, his eyes looking at the sky. A pool of blood slowly spreaded under him.

"Father!" Boy's voice was full of shock and sadness, but then it was replaced with anger. He ran towards the soldiers, despite one man's attempt to stop him. Soldier's voice was blank, when aimed for the boy's chest. He shot the arrow and soon, the boy was on the ground, motionless. A woman screamed, before running towards the boy. Soldiers turned and walked away. When they were gone, everyone started to speak.

"Damn those soldiers, they can go to hell!"

"Oh, poor boy. He didn't deserve that."

"Where's the King? He isn't doing anything, just eating in the castle and mourning for his love."