Chapter 17: Homicide

(Warning! Might be triggering!)

Arthur's POV

I thrusted the rapier through man's chest and his blood splattered on my hand and robe.

Someone yelled and I turned around quickly. Sword's blade cut my cheek, but I didn't care about it. I counter-attacked. Man dodged my attack and hit me. His sword didn't pass my armor, but I stumbled and fell onto the ground. Maybe I should have slept more, I thought, before turning my head to look a my opponent.

He looked me with hate in his eyes.

"You killed my son!" He lifted his sword to cut my head off. Suddenly, an arrow went through his throat, because my opponent was too "tough" to wear an armor. And because he looked like a mountain, so big he was.

"Your Highness! Are you all right?" A boy ran next to me. I recognized the boy as Rick.

"Thank you for saving me, Rick." I wiped off the blood on my cheek. That wound wasn't fatal, so I didn't have to worry.

I abruptly felt tired. This was our third attack trying to break through Diamonds' shield, but now we didn't attack to Nine of Spades. We had attacked to Ten of Spades. Diamonds had less soldiers in Ten of Spades than we had nearby, so we were winning. But, I have to say, Diamonds have willpower. They managed to withstand, but tonight, they will loose.

"Let them feel the true power of Spades in their bones!" I yelled, although I doubt that nobody heard it. Well, maybe Rick.

I glanced around me, until someone bumped into me and I found myself on the ground. I got a terrible déjà-vu, before raising my rapier. It went through the man's side. Man grunted before he stood up and looked like he didn't feel any pain.

"We won!" Someone yelled. "We won! Ten of Spades is ours again!" Rick killed his opponent before smiling widely. Man in front of me roared, before trying to pierce me. I rolled over, stood up and thrusted my sword to his armpit. Rapier's blade came out of his throat. Man rattled, coughed and tried to breathe. I watched as he drowned in his own blood.

Rick, who was behind the man, looked slightly nauseous. I knew I could never forget man's face and his cause of death. I had killed him and I could never wash the blood, which I had shed, from my hands.

I knew every man knew this feeling.

------------

I walked on the battlefield, trying to find lieutenant Fernand or major Dan.

I found them soon enough. Major had taken some captives and Fernand watched them with sharp eyes. Other one looked shocked, maybe he was crying, but other one was defiant. Both were sitting on the muddy ground and their hands were tied behind their back with a old rope.

"Who are you?" I asked, trying to look as noble and proud as possible, but I doubt it. I had blood stains on my clothes and a small cut on my cheek.

"M-m-my-my na-name i-is Jean." Smaller one stuttered, and he didn't look me in eyes. "Tell me about Diamonds' plan, Jean." I said.

"No! My brother won't tell you anything, you piece of shit!" Bigger one yelled in anger.

"Don't talk to him like that. He is the Queen of Spades, after all, Pierre." Jean said and looked at me with shame.

"Ah, your name is Pierre. Maybe you want to tell me something?" I walked in front of him and crouched.

"No way!" He spitted on my face. I wiped it off and stood up.

"Put both of them in cells. Give them food and water, if they want it." I said. Fernand bowed.

"Yes sir!" Lieutenant commanded captivies to stood up before walking away with them.