Chapter 7: Echos

Arthur's POV

Why did he ask something like that from me? I walked down big, gray cobblestone stairs, which led to the basement. A little after our conversation, I had left Alfred with Theresa. I arrived to the basement's door. It was wooden and looked old.

I sighed and opened the door. There were few torches were on the walls. In the middle of the room, there was pentagram. A wooden table was in front of the pentagram. I walked middle of the magic circle and opened the spell book, which was on the table. I quickly found the chapter I was looking for and began reading. After awhile, I closed the book.

I walked on the middle of pentagram. I closed my eyes.

"I command you, spirits of the world, soul and time. Do this for me, give me magic. I'll give you my power, you give me a chance. You filthy demon, who watches over us! Freeze the time, freeze the heart! A minute or two more, take it. I can fill my duty, save my King, throne and Spades. Stop, time!"

Pentagram's magical glow stopped abruptly, when I reached the spell's end. Nothing more happened. I stood there, my expression disappointed. The spell was an old spell, which the first Queen of Spades had invented. She had used that spell only once. I doubted that I would have to use that, but it couldn't be a bad thing if I knew that spell?

I tried twice more and it still didn't work.

"... And Spades. Stop, time!" Pentagram's glow faded and I fell on my knees. "Why doesn't it work?" I cried in despair.

"Why doesn't it work..." Echo answered. What if I wasn't a true wizard? What if I wasn't meant to be the Queen of Spades? Luckily, the prideful half of me took charge. I was meant to be Queen of Spades. Maybe not a wizard, but a Queen still.

I tried another spell, and now it was a healing spell. The spell could heal a fatal wound and speed up the recovery.

"Spirits of the healers, help me. I can't help this human, who needs me. Human needs more time. Let him see the morning sun one more time. Let him hear the birds' singing, taste the fruit and feel the love. Give him more time." I said. Now, I felt a refreshing breeze through me.

"It works!" I said happily to myself. Suddenly, I felt a cold breeze in the basement.

"Be careful. They'll come and kill the King." A voice said. I startled and opened my mouth to say something, but then I saw it.

A battlefield.

Fighting soldiers.

Yelling.

And in the middle of it, was Alfred.

Covered in his own blood.

All right..? I'm running out of ideas and I don't want to rush this story, but... Some drama again