Chapter 20: Nine of Spades

Alfred's POV

This was the day. Today, we would destroy Diamonds.

Servant boy washed my back, before I rose from bathtub.

"Give me a towel."

Boy did what I said. I dried myself quickly and dressed. Temperature was cold in the grey room. I noticed a small scar where the sword had gone in.

"Help me with my armor." Boy nodded. Soon enough, the silvery armor was on me.

"Thanks, dude." I smiled.

"It was pleasure to help you, your Majesty." Boy bowed and left.

"Why everyone must be so strict about the etiquette?" I muttered to myself and exited from the hospital's bathroom.

Finally I could leave.

-----------------

I glared at the map. Nine of Spades was checked with orange and Ten of Spades was circled with blue. Heavy silence was between us four, as majors and Yao waited me to answer.

My gaze wandered to the right side of the map, where read 'Verhen'. On blue area, there read Sapphire Bay.

"So", I said, "we attack from here to there, but before it, we reunite with major Dan and Queen?" I pointed the points on the map of Spades.

Yao nodded. "We attack at night-"

"Why can't we just attack at day?" I asked. Major Joshua shaked his head.

"We can use surprise attack."

"But we have used it already!" I protested. "I mean, they have learned to wait us at night, so why won't attack at day, then?"

Major Werner nodded. "Finally someone realized that." Major Joshua glanced angrily at him.

"That is a good idea." Yao said.

I grinned.

"But don't let it boost your complex too much!" He added.

"Killjoy..." I muttered. Yao huffed.

"All right, we'll attack after midday. Be ready for it." I said to majors. They nodded, and exited. Joshua glared me before following Werner.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked from Yao.

"Shh. Don't speak bad about them after their backs. They'll turn against you." He scolded.

"Yeah, yeah." Why would they turn against me? I'm their King, after all.

"Anyway, Yao, why did you look sad few days ago?" I asked. He tensed and looked away.

"Why?" My tone was curious.

"Because..." He looked nervous, and I saw hint of terror in his eyes.

"... You'll find out someday." With that, he left and left me alone in the tent.

"Hey! Wait!" I followed him, but he had disappeared into thin air. Few soldiers watched me curiously.

"There is a change of plans." I said to them. "We'll attack when it's midday." Soldiers' faces lit up. Other one, moved jerkily, while other one just laughed at him.

It seems that I wasn't the only person who was excited - and nervous - about the final battle.

-----------

Sun shone from the clear sky. Temperature was warm, even warmer than usually in the spring. My forehead was wet because of the helmet, and I felt like I was going to swelter, but otherwise everything was all right.