Chapter 34: Revolution

Alfred's POV

I stared at the group, which I believed was part of the Fighters of Freedom. I gritted my teeth, the dagger on my hands felt heavy and cold. Younger nobles tried to escape, but they were killed brutally.

"Alfred F. Jones, will you wear this crown as a King of Spades and protect your kingdom until the day you die?"

"Yes, I will."

I attacked towards the man, which I believed to be leader. Nobles went out of the way, letting me to attack freely towards him. There was a confident smile on his face, as he took a dagger as well. I stopped in front of him. Maybe I would have a chance. Of course I had a chance, I'm the King of Spades after all. I still felt bad for this. I was supposed to protect my citizens, not kill them.

"Good afternoon, your Majesty. What's up?" He asked.

"Think about it. Jack of Spades, a servant and nobles has been killed in front of my eyes." I hissed.

"Hmm... You must feel quite shitty. Should I end it?" The leader threw something; I couldn't even react, and then I felt a burning pain in my arm. I yelped, the dagger had got stuck quite deeply in my arm. I yanked it out, but I didn't feel any pain because of the adrenaline, and dropping it on the floor. Soon my suit's sleeve was darker shade.

"No thank you. I have things to do after this. Tell your name."

"Hmm... It's Dexten. Now, prepare to die." Dexten threw a dagger, I avoided it, but then I was lying on the floor, a bloody dagger on my throath. How many daggers he had? The leader smiled, looking slightly crazy.

"What things are you supposed to do after this? To meet with your Queen and Jack in afterlife? And your brother and parents?"

"He's not de-" I stopped myself.

"Ah. Thank you." Dexten put it closer to my throath, and it drew a little bit of blood. I gulped, until I heard a battle cry. There were sounds of battle.

"Hmph. I'll finish you later." Dexten disappeared to somewhere. I inhaled and stood up. The sight looked chaotic. The soldiers of the castle had come and were now fighting against the rebels.

"Your Majesty!" A young soldier had come to me, and was now tugging my sleeve. "We have to go. Luis' order. 'We have to save the King at any costs.' He said."

"But-"

"Come!" I followed him to the corner of the room. Nobles were either dead or unconscius. I glanced at Yao's body. His suit was bloody, and the dagger was still in his chest. Raivis lay on the ground, looking like a child who was just sleeping. Tears rose in my eyes. I had failed my citizens. I heard a click, and a small door opened in front of us.

"What?"

"Go inside!" I did as the boy said. When I was inside, I noticed that there were torches. I could even stand! The boy jumped next to me.

"What's your name?" I asked, curious.

"Rick." He shrugged. "We'll meet at stables with Luis. He has saddled the horses for you."

"What? I have to escape and leave you all here to die? No way." I said. I couldn't be a coward.

"Yes. Do you want to die?"

I thought it for a moment. "No."

"Good. Let's go, your Majesty."

We walked for a moment, before seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Rick walked there, looking hopeful. I followed him and soon I smelled the freshness of the evening air. The grass was moist, so it had rained.

"Yay! I saved the King." I chuckled. Maybe he thought I was some kind of hero, who had to be saved. The adrenaline had ceased to run in my veins, and I slowly started to feel the pain in my arm. I grimaced.

"Where's Luis?" Rick sounded surprised, when we arrived at the stables. I shaked my head, and walked inside. No one was there, if we don't count a stable boy, who lay on thw ground, motionless. A horse was tied to a bar.

"Aha! I found you!" I turned around and saw Dexten with five other men. All had swords.

"Shit." I sweared. Dexten only smiled.

"We meet again, it seems." I let out a battle cry, full of anger and attacked. I wasn't sure did Rick do the same, but I hope he didn't. He had a whole life in front of him. I cut Dexten's cheek, before he swung his sword. It made a deep cut on my left hand, but I didn't care. I wanted to kill the man who was responsible for all the deaths I've seen today.

We fought for a moment, and I was grateful for our castle's sword master for teaching me to use weapons. Even with a dagger you could defend yourself, though a sword was better. I started to feel tired, and my movements were sluggish. I panted, though usually I would not be tired. Hell, this isn't usual, I reminded myself. This is a revolution.

"Getting tired, I see." Dexten brushed his sword's blade with his finger, drawing some blood.

"No!" I yelped. Then I froze, when I saw Rick behind him. The boy's uniform was bloody from his blood or from his enemies. Two of the fighters lay on the ground, dead or unconscius, I couldn't tell. The rest of the five had disappeared.

My eyes widened, when I eventually realized what the boy was going to do. He lifted his sword, and thrusted it trough Dexten's stomach. He screamed in pain, when Rick yanked the sword out. Dexten fell on his knees.

"Your Majesty! Run!" He cried.

"No! I won't leave you here!" I could hear faint cries from the distance, probably the rebels. I smelled smoke and realized that the castle was burning.

"You have to." Dexten tried to rise up.

"Good job, boy." He said. Rick looked scared, but then the feeling disappeared and was replaced with determination.

"Run." Rick pleaded. "I'll buy you some time." I nodded after a moment of thinking. I freed the horse from its ties, before climbing on the saddle. The horse neighed shortly.

"..." I glanced at Rick, who nodded, then swung his sword at Dexten.

"I'm sorry." The horse started running, and I could hear the battle cries of the rebels.

Tears changed my vision from sharp to blurry. The anger, sadness and regret; I could feel them all, but anger was the strongest. I felt terrible; how a boy could sincerely want to give his own life away, just for me? I gritted my teeth, being angry to myself. Why did I leave? I knew I might not be able to get rid of this guilt in my life. It would haunt me until I died.

I rode forwards, leaving the burning castle and my past behind me.

Me yesterday morning: "There is clouds!"

18 days until school starts, yay (though I don't like the exams and the stress which comes with it)

(I kind of want to write a omegaverse oneshot [no smut, just pure fluff and maybe some Hamilton] but then again I don't want. I'm afraid of being judged, I guess What should I do?)

Me: *singing Norway's Eurovision song, Grab the moment, when I should be sleeping*

I'm the only one awake, rip

One chapter left, wohoo! Prepare yourselves!