Chapter 3: Prophecy

Arthur's POV

I looked around, my expression shocked and astonished. Queen's chambers were huge. The carpets were deep red and curtains were silk. Queen's - now mine, I reminded myself - double bed looked soft. Very soft. A pretty chandelier hanged on the ceiling. Bookcases were filled books - there was even some maps. There were also three doors. One of them must be bathroom's door, I figured. Wardrobes were empty, when I looked at them. The windows were perfectly clean and when I looked out, I saw a big, beautiful rose garden. In the middle of the garden, there was a fountain. Like in the frontyard, I thought.

"Your Highness?" A girly voice asked hesitantly. I turned around and saw a maid standing in the middle of the room.

"G-good evening." I stuttered slightly. Then I remembered Alfred's words:

"... Your personal maid is waiting there, so don't be frightened."

"I'm sorry, you startled me. Are you my personal maid? What's your name?" I asked, trying not to sound too rude or annoyed.

"Yes I am, Your Highness. And my name is Eliza." She smiled and bowed. "Do you need something? Maybe some new clothes or food?"

"Hm... I would like to get some new clothes and food." I said thoughtfully.

"I'll bring them to you, Your Highness. Please wait a moment." She hurried out of the room.

After she had gone, I sat down on the double bed. I couldn't believe that I would be the next Queen of Spades. Me? A normal citizen from the slumms? Sometimes fate would be cruel, but this wasn't cruel... I had been teared from my old life and placed in this, new and maybe a little scary life. Antonio's mother had said that some of the people who went to the court didn't return. Maybe Alfred was wrong. I shook my head. All had happened so fast and I was exhausted. Maid came back, holding a plate filled with food and some clothes.

"Oh, you were quick." I stated. Eliza chuckled.

"I have to be quick, or else I have to leave my job." I nodded and tooked the plate, when she gave it to me. I began to eat. The maid organisized clothes, which were dresses. I ate rather quickly and put the plate next to me.

"Why did you get me womens' dresses?" I asked. I refused to wear those!

"A Queen has to always wear a dress." She answered.

"Even if I'm a male?"

"Yes." Eliza said. I nodded.

"What's behind those doors?" I asked again.

"You have to find out yourself." She stated and glanced a old silver clock. "But now, I have to go. I'll come back tomorrow morning and help you with your corset." Eliza left after that.

I paled. I had to wear a corset? Bloody hell, those were for women. And they were really uncomfortable, I had heard. I huffed and undressed. I left my clothes at the chair, which was next to one of the wardrobes.

Then I crawled under the blanket. I closed my eyes and drifted off in a peaceful sleep.

Timeskip

I woke up at the sound of a knock. I groaned and opened my eyes. Where am I, I thought, but then I remembered.

I was the Queen. The Queen of Spades.

"Come on." I said. Almost instantly, Eliza entered.

"Good morning." She said. "Did Your Highness sleep well?"

"Quite well, thank you." I said wearily. She nodded and took me a purple dress from the wardrobe. She found too a corset and a little hat.

"Now, let's get you dressed." Eliza smirked and I gulped.

After a quarter, I was dressed. The corset squeezed my ribs.

"The corset is too tight." I complained.

"It's not. I have been doing that since I had this job in this palace." Eliza huffed. "Now get going, the King, his mother and Jack are waiting you."

I glanced at the clock.

"Bloody hell, I'm late!" I exclaimed. I speed-walked out of the room; a gentleman would never run. Or that's what my deceased father would say.

Soon I found the dining room. I walked to the table, where others were sitting.

"Good morning." I said and bowed.

"Good morning, Artie." Alfred said and smirked.

"My name is Arthur, not Artie." I snapped.

"Okey, okey, calm down." He said. "Well, this is my mother, Queen Theresa." She nodded politely to me.

"Pleasure to meet you, Your Highness." I bowed.

"And this is Jack of Spades, Wang Yao, or Yao Wang." Alfred introduced. He, too, nodded politely to me. I quickly bowed.

"You didn't have to bow, my dear." Theresa said.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I sat down. "I don't know yet the ways of court."

"We know." Yao said. "Your training starts today. We have two weeks, then we will be crowned."

"And I'll be the King!" Alfred exclaimed. Yao sighed.

"We know that, too."

"My son, being the King isn't as easy as you think it is." The old, once beautiful Queen said.

"Mom, please don't rant." Alfred begged. I chuckled.

"I didn't know that royals, too, would beg." Jack's sharp gaze turned on me.

"Senators beg every day, you should know that."

"Well, I'm sorry for not knowing that." I said sarcastically. Yao opened his mouth to say something, but then Alfred interrupted him.

"Stop." He looked worried and I turned my gaze to King's mother. Her eyes were closed and she looked pale. Theresa's lips were moving, but there were no sound. Yao seemed to have forgotten our little conversation, because he, too, looked worried.

"What's happening to her?" I whispered.

"She's seeing a vision." Alfred answered, his expression blank.

Suddenly Queen's eyes opened and panic was written in her eyes. Theresa panted, like she had run 20 miles.

"Calm down, mother. Yao, bring her some water." Yao nodded and hurried out of the dining room.

"Alfred... My son... It was terrible."

"I believe, mom." I felt little ashamed. I didn't help her. But, then again, I didn't know what to do. Alfred must've noticed my inner fight, when he said:

"Don't worry, Arthur. We can't help my mother, when she sees her visions." I nodded, still ashamed. Yao returned, holding a glass of water. He gave it to Theresa and she drank it.

"Thank you. You're just like you father." Yao tensed, but nodded.

"What happened in the vision?" I asked curiously. Theresa glanced Alfred and began speaking.

"Your reign will destroy or save Spades. One of you dies, when sun sets. War will come and secrets will be revealed."

A/N: This chapter is a long one. Over 1100 words. Quite well, da? ^J^

Thanks for reading!