Growing Up

Amelia's POV: 
I walk into the attendings lounge and collapse on the couch. It's been a long morning. I had to be here at 5 so that left Owen to get all the kids to school and then he came in later.
I take out to my phone to see a text message from Addison.
We gave our oldest daughter a phone so if she would ever need to contact us she can.
I see a text from her that says,
Call me please
I'm confused as I call her wondering why she is texting in school and that it must be important.
She answers.
Amy- "Is everything okay? How are you talking on the phone in school?"
Addie- "Uhm not exactly. And I'm in lunch. I'm in the bathroom right now."
Amy- "What's wrong? Do you need me or dad to pick you up?"
Addie- "I" she hesitates on the phone which makes me super worried and as my mom instincts kick in I stand up already grabbing my jacket.
Amy- "What is it baby? Are you hurt? Sick? In trouble?"
Addie- "I got my period"
Amy- "Oh my. Are you okay?"
Addie- "Can you come get me?"
I sigh and look at the time and realize I have a surgery in 20 minutes.
Amy- "I can't. I will tell your dad to go get you"
Addie- "He's gonna freak out about mom"
Amy- "yeah he will. But I have a surgery baby. I'll be home later. I'll just tell him you're sick. Do you know where I keep the stuff?"
Addie- "In the bottom cabinet in the bathroom?"
Amy- "Yes. If you need anything else text me. Tell dad to give you Advil if you need it."
Addie- "Okay thanks mom. I love you. Have a good surgery."
Amy- "I love you too. I'll talk to you later."
I hang up the phone and rush down to the ER to find my husband. I see him in a room and walk in,
"Owen. A word please"
He follows me out,
"Everything okay?"
"Can you take off and go pick up Addie from school? She isn't feeling well. And I have a surgery in 20 minutes."
"I'll go get her. Is it bad sick?" He says as he hands an intern passing by the chart to the patient in the room.
"She'll be okay. Just let her go when you get her home okay?"
He looks at me confused but nods,
"Alright. I'll see you later then."
He kisses my cheek and then walks away and I walk to the OR for my surgery.

Owen's POV:
I park in the parking lot at the school and walk in to the office.
"Hi I'm here to pick up my daughter. My wife said she wasn't feeling well."
"Name please" The lady at the desk asks me.
"Addison Hunt"
"She'll be right in. You can wait here."
I say thank you and wait until the nurse brings her out to the office. I take her backpack from her and we walk out in the hall. I kiss the top of her head,
"Mom said you aren't feeling good?"
She nods,
"I just want to lay down"
I nod and put my arm around her,
"You absolutely can when we get home."
We walk out to the car and get in and I drive home.
-
We walk into the house and I'm about to ask if she wants any soup or something to eat but she is already upstairs.
I sigh and sit down on the couch and turn on the TV. I'm sitting there for a few hours until I hear Addison come down and I look back at her,
"You okay?" I ask sitting up
She shakes her head and comes over and sits beside me,
"I just want to lay with you"
I smile. I was always afraid as the kids got older they wouldn't want to be with their dad anymore. But Addison is still a daddy's girl and loves to spend time with me when she can.
"Come here" I lean back and put my arms out and she lays into them and wrap my arms around her and run my hand through her hair.
"Are you feeling better?"
She shrugs,
"Kind of"
I nod and kiss the top of her head,
"Noah has practice tonight. Maybe mom can stay at home with you if you don't feel good enough to come"
She shakes her head,
"I want to go. I don't want Noah to he upset if I don't go"
I smile,
"Your such a good big sister."
She smiles and we lay there and watch Disney channel on tv and she ends up falling asleep. Pretty soon the rest of the kids get off the bus. I slip off the couch and cover Addie up with a blanket and walk over to the door and stop them before they come in the house,
"You guys have to be quiet, Addie is sleeping she doesn't feel good."
They all nod and come inside and go out to the dining room to do their homework. I stay out there with them and help them.
Addison wakes up later and Amelia comes home from work.