TWELVE

↳ CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

THE HORROR

VIRGINIA CONCENTRATED ON THE INTERACTION between Archie and Penelope Blossom instead of the boy beside her. She knew that if she looked at Jughead any longer her face would become a permanent red from her embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry for your loss Mrs. Blossom." Archie started and Virginia bit her lip at the vacant look she gave the young boy. "I thought you might want to have this."

She looked down at the #9 jersey, a heartbroken look on her face as she recalled the memories of her late son's achievements on the football team.

Penelope looked up at the redhead, her hand ready to caress Archie's cheek. "You're so much like him." She cleared her throat, coming to as she realised what she just did. "Oh, I'm sorry. Thank you, Archibald."

Archie sent her a sad smile before walking back to the group and sat down beside Valerie, his new friend.

"Did she just touch your hair?" Kevin asked the redhead and Virginia grimaced at the interaction. She hated the Blossoms, even if one of them died.

"That was really sweet, what you did." Betty told him, touching his shoulder softly and Virginia rolled her eyes at the compassion they showed towards the richest people in town.

"She deserves it more than I do."

"Not really," the brunette girl muttered and yelped at the sudden jab from Jughead's elbow. She frowned at him at his not-so-subtle way to make her shut up.

"Days like today really put things in perspective, huh?" Virginia turned to see Veronica join the group and smiled at the raven haired girl. "I mean, at least we're here. At least we're alive."

Virginia stayed silent, but wondered at the last statement. Were they lucky to be alive?

Murmuring flew from the congregation and Virginia turned to see Cheryl enter the room in a white dress.

"Holy shit," she muttered. "I'd go gay for her." Virginia winced as another elbow was sent her way by Jughead, she cheekily stuck her tongue out at him before looking back at Cheryl.

"Oh, my God." Veronica exclaimed as the redheaded girl passed by.

"Yes." Kevin whispered in excitement.

"Welcome to Thornhill. Thank you all for coming." Cheryl began, taking in the faces of her classmates. "If you'll kindly take your seats. I'd like to start the memorial with a few words about Jason."

Virginia frowned as Veronica turned to Mrs. Blossom, noticing the anger sent towards the raven haired girl. "You are only going to make things worse," she whispered. When did Veronica meet the Blossom's?

"The last time I saw Jason, I was wearing this dress. I know it's impossible. But I swear, when I put it on, it It feels like he's in the room with me. Even though we were twins, I used to demand I have my own birthday party. Until one year, out of the blue, Jason convinced me we had to combine them into one. It wasn't until years later, I found out why. It was because no one wanted to come to mine. And Jason didn't want me to know. He protected me."

"Every single day. I wish, that day at the river, I had protected him." Cheryl broke down in tears, and surprisingly, Veronica stood up and comforted the Blossom. "I'm so sorry, Jay-Jay. We failed you. All of us."

Penelope Blossom and her husband stood up, drawing the crowd's attention to them, rather than their heartbroken daughter.

"I think we'll adjourn now to the Winter Salon for a light supper." Penelope Blossom told the crowd, her face full of fake sincerity.

º º º

VIRGINIA WAS WALKING BESIDE JUGHEAD TO THE SALON when her hand was enveloped with another. She jumped at the warm contact but smiled as Jughead came to stand beside her. "C'mon," Jughead tugged on Virginia's hand, leading her towards Betty who stood beside the staircase leading up to the rest of the mansion. Virginia followed behind the two, smiling to herself at the comfort of her best friend's hand in her own.

"I think this is it," Betty told them, standing in front of a room at the end of the hallway. Jughead peeked into the room as the door creaked open, making sure no one was inside.

"Is it me or did the temperature just drop like it does in horror movies?" Betty asked the pair beside her as they entered.

"That's just the icy chill of the dead." Jughead whispered back.

"Where does a teenage boy hide things? Under the mattresses, maybe in the drawers, behind the headboard, in the closet."

Virginia had a lot of secrets but Jason Blossom knew one of hers... Did he ever write it down? Did he expose her somehow? The young brunette needed to know, and thankfully, breaking into his room with Betty and Jughead was the perfect coverup.

"Hello." Virginia yelped, covering her mouth at the sudden appearance of the old woman. She peaked from behind Jughead's figure to see her in a wheelchair– the Blossom grandmother.

Betty gasped, hand clutched to her chest in terror at the sudden appearance of the creepy grandmother. "Holy– I'm so sorry, we were just leaving."

"Oh. It's you." The old woman tilted her head at the blonde girl, a smile in place. "How lovely to see you again. Come closer, I wanna get a good look at you."

"The horror. The horror." Jughead whispered to Betty, clutching Virginia's hand tightly.

"Come closer, Polly dear." Betty complied, stepping closer to the older woman.

"Wait, what?" Virginia asked Jughead, tugging him closer to her. "Did she just say–"

"It's nice to you again, too. I'm sorry it had to be under such terrible circumstances." Betty replied to her, playing along.

"Well, of course you're not wearing it." She sighed, clutching Betty's nimble hands in her frail ones. "God bless."

"Wearing what?" She asked, looking back at duo in confusion.

"The ring, Polly. That ring has been in the Blossom family for generations. You keep it close to your heart, always. But don't tell Penelope I gave it to you. Or she'll likely come and snip it off your finger! I won't, I promise. Such a shame. Your wedding was the last thing I was living for. I lost a grandson, but you, you've lost the love of your young life. Poor child."

"What the f–" Virginia whispered and Jughead covered her mouth with his hand, shushing her from any further comment.

The brunette girl bit lightly on his hand and Jughead moved his hand to around her shoulders, yanking her closer to him as they watched the exchange.

What just happened?

º   º   º

who's ready for tomorrows episode? :)