SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

SING YOUR HEART OUT

     KEVIN ENTERED THE STAGE, A BRIGHT SMILE on his face as he greeted the audience. "Hello, Riverdale High, and welcome to the 75th annual Variety Show! That was Josie and the Pussycats! Long tails and ears for hats."Kevin called out as the cheers began to diminish. Virginia smiled, happy that Kevin was enjoying himself as the director of the event, it suited him.

"You guys killed it." Archie told Valerie with a large smile on his face as the group ran off stage.

"Thanks. So will you. I know you will, Archie." Val responded, and Virginia watched the correspondence between the two, a sour feeling in her stomach. Valerie left Archie, and Virginia wanted to step towards her friend but paused at the sight of an approaching Veronica.

"Okay, so this is my mea culpa moment. I was angry at my mom and I took it out on you." Veronica told the ginger haired boy.

"And I shouldn't have tried to bench you when Valerie came back." Archie told the raven haired girl, he felt sorry for what he did, knowing what he did was wrong.

"Truer words could not have been spoken."

"You holding up?"

"Honestly, I'm hanging on by my whiskers. You?" Veronica told him and Ginny winced at her use of whiskers.

"The prospect of total humiliation in front of this entire town is terrifying." Archie breathed out nervously.

"Want some company out there?" Veronica offered.

"Yeah, Arch. You don't have to do this alone– I mean, you're helping me, it's okay for you to have some help too." Virginia told him softly, touching his shoulder gently.

"More than anything. No. I have to do this on my own, Veronica." Archie smiled at the two girls before him, grateful for their support.

"Well, if you freeze out there, Red Troubadour, just focus on someone that makes you feel safe."

"Hey, Arch–" Virginia grabbed onto the lean arm of Archie and both froze at the contact. She blushed, letting go. "C-Can we talk when you're done?" Archie nodded and she sent him a forced smile as she watched him run onto the stage.

"Here's Archie Andrews!" Kevin announced to the audience and Virginia stood in the wings, watching her friend.

"Stick to football!" Reggie Mantle's friend yet again yelled from the audience. Virginia's mood soured, wondering how someone could be so mean to their own teammate.