FOURTY TWO

( word count : 1,380  )

CHAPTER FOURTY-TWO:

THE JACKET

    RIGHT WHEN JUGHEAD WAS ABOUT TO LEAVE, Mrs. Cooper walked into the Blue and Gold office, interrupting Jughead from saying goodbye to Ginny on the phone. The beanie loving boy gripped his phone as he readied himself for Alice Coopers news.

"The police found another dead body. A Southside Serpent and Sheriff Clueless is convinced that he was working with your father. He allegedly committed suicide by overdose, and there was a bag of money on-site that links him to Hiram Lodge. Everything is tied up into a nice little bow. Too tidy, if you ask me."

"As fascinating as this is, I gotta go." Jughead told the two blondes, glancing at his phone. He knew that solving this mystery was important– but Ginny was his top priority. Before he could finish saying goodbye, Betty's phone rang.

Betty picked the phone up that rang beside him, listening to what he had to say. Betty sighed, looking at Jughead who was itching to leave to see Ginny. "Kevin? Oh, okay. We'll meet you there."

º   º   º

     BEFORE JUGHEAD AND BETTY WERE TO meet up with Kevin, Jughead forced Alice Blossom to drop him off at Archie's house. He hopped out of the car, knowing that Betty would be waiting for him soon.

"Ginny?" Jughead called out as he entered the house with his spare key. He shoved his key into his pocket, shutting the door behind him as he moved further into the house.

Suddenly, a blurred figure jumped at him and startled Jughead, but he relaxed as the brunette hair and sobbing indicated who held onto him. Minutes had passed as Jughead held onto Ginny Hopkins, rubbing her back softly, waiting for her to calm down.

Slowly, hiccups began to occur in between her sobs and Jughead maneuvering her towards the couch in the living room. Jughead sat down, pulling Ginny onto his lap so she could cuddle into the crevice of his neck.

"What happened, Gin?" Jughead asked softly, running his fingers through her dark hair. Moments went by and Jughead let her take her time before she could speak.

"I-I," Ginny began softly but took her time in retelling the events that Jughead had missed out on. And Jughead sat there as she told him, stroking her hair and being there for the girl he loved.

º   º   º

     JUGHEAD BEGRUNDGINGLY LEFT GINNY at Archie's, knowing that he would return in an hour to take her home. Betty had picked up Kevin in the meantime and came back for Jughead, taking them when the sun set to the location Joaquin revealed.